Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Metal Welds from exhuast have possibly gone into the engine and caused damge.

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
In my experience, Holden will try and use any excuse to get out of a warranty. This kind of issue sounds difficult to pinpoint exactly, so Holden will definitely blame the exhaust.

Perhaps you can look at a warranty with the exhaust manufacturer, but I'm betting they will only cover their workmanship (ie. the pipes haven't corroded or come apart). Getting them to cover the outcome of their workmanship will be difficult to prove also - unless Holden pull out a cylinder with welding excess melting or stuck into the head - then you could show the exhaust company for faulty workmanship and seek compensation for damages as a result of this.

Getting legal here, not envious of your position.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
For them not to cover it, they have to prove it came from doing the exhaust.

Get the foreign objects looked at by someone independent. See what their opinion is.

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
As not an abba fan just said get the objects tested to see what they are and if the match the material of your exhaust

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I too would be surprised if a piece of weld has gone back up and into the combustion chamber from the exhaust, in fact i would of thought that it's near impossible. I wonder if some sections of the intake were removed for access and a metal fragment enter the intake through this??

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Love to hear their logic. Stick your hand over the exhaust pipe while its running and see what happens. No way two little bits welding flash are going to get back into the motor.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Wow i hope this doesnt happen to me, getting my pacemaker headers fitted next month and mafless tuned, i though the headers just bolted straight to the head with no welding required? or do you mean welds on the headers have come apart?

sorry for my lack of knowledge lol

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
The bits of metal would of had to be sitting on top of the Exhaust valve to have fallen in, even then the amount of pressure coming out of the exhaust valve would be so great it would just be pushing it back towards your cat. I think Holden are talking out of their ass and probably couldn't be stuffed to really find out the causes of it, so they took the easier route and blamed the exhaust. Should of gotten the stock exhaust put back on before it went in. Would of cost you less then $3000 lol.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Of course they're talking out their arse.
How the hell can anything from the exhaust pipe go INTO the motor???

Think about it.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Three weeks for peices of metal to migrate from the exhaust to the combustion chamber? Highly unlikely.
You would think if the exhaust was at fault the problem would of manifested itself almost immediatly.