Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Metal Welds from exhuast have possibly gone into the engine and caused damge.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
How does metal make its way back up the exhaust?
It has god knows how much force on it, pushing it the other way. Not to mention the fact that there is an exhaust valve in the way.

Are the shards ferrous or not?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
..yeah sounds like a bit of passing the buck I reckon...suck it up (so to speak) Holden and fix the thing.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
For them not to cover it, they have to prove it came from doing the exhaust.

Get the foreign objects looked at by someone independent. See what their opinion is.

Actually Holden is not obligated to "prove" their view. It's their warranty and their product and the warranty is subject to conditions. They only need to argue that the foreign material entered the engine as a result of the unauthorised work carried out and the unauthorised parts fitted to the car. The obligation is on you, the claimant, to demonstrate otherwise if you want to challenge their opinion. If you wish to contest the warranty rejection (in Court) you will need many 000's of dollars and some pretty good evidence.

Your comment about the possibility of foreign material possibly entering the engine after removal of spark plugs during exhaust fitting sounds like just one plausible explanation and the metal need not even match anything on the car. If the metal fragments found matches any metal on the aftermarket exhaust it's pretty definitive as is the owner's advice that the problem arose within weeks of the exhaust mods being carried out.

The owner has not mentioned if anything else on the car might have been fiddled with which might be a factor. The metal fragments - described as 1/4 of a 5 cent piece - are thin and small and possibly quite light.

If people value their warranty, and they should, this is another very good example on this Forum of the costly financial risk you are taking if you modify your car when it is under warranty. You just never know what might crop up on your car over 3 years and if you modify it during the warranty period you are potentially leaving yourself very exposed whether you like this or not. Bitching about Holden's stance won't help one bit and you are starting from a position of disadvantage.

If I manufactured and sold a product with a warranty, I would not be happy for buyers to take my product, modify it under warranty , and then come back and ask me to fix it at my cost when a problem cropped up which had a possible connection with the unauthorised modification.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Actually Holden is not obligated to "prove" their view. It's their warranty and their product and the warranty is subject to conditions. They only need to argue that the foreign material entered the engine as a result of the unauthorised work carried out and the unauthorised parts fitted to the car. The obligation is on you, the claimant, to demonstrate otherwise if you want to challenge their opinion. If you wish to contest the warranty rejection (in Court) you will need many 000's of dollars and some pretty good evidence.

oooh, that all sounds very FACTUAL... pity its all crap.

small claims will take care of the warranty for ya OP. 90% of the time they find in favour of the owner. often even if the owner has not followed the warraties guidelines. i know cos i had to replace an engine once for a kid that thrashed a 180sx i sold him and toasted the engine.

rusty411

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series II Sv6 3.6L ute

Your comment about the possibility of foreign material possibly entering the engine after removal of spark plugs during exhaust fitting sounds like just one plausible explanation and the metal need not even match anything on the car. If the metal fragments found matches any metal on the aftermarket exhaust it's pretty definitive as is the owner's advice that the problem arose within weeks of the exhaust mods being carried out.

The owner has not mentioned if anything else on the car might have been fiddled with which might be a factor. The metal fragments - described as 1/4 of a 5 cent piece - are thin and small and possibly quite light.

If people value their warranty, and they should, this is another very good example on this Forum of the costly financial risk you are taking if you modify your car when it is under warranty. You just never know what might crop up on your car over 3 years and if you modify it during the warranty period you are potentially leaving yourself very exposed whether you like this or not. Bitching about Holden's stance won't help one bit and you are starting from a position of disadvantage.

If I manufactured and sold a product with a warranty, I would not be happy for buyers to take my product, modify it under warranty , and then come back and ask me to fix it at my cost when a problem cropped up which had a possible connection with the unauthorised modification.

i have just read the biggest load of crap in my whole life lol

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
As soon as i said i had a full exhaust system they pretty much said im screwed.

Mistake number 1 mate.... why in the hell did you give them that escape clause in the first place?!?!
Of course they are going to try and use any excuse they can to not pay for expensive repair work.... they arent a charity, the bottom line is what counts.

Now that they have the upper hand, you're going to have a fight on your hands.
Forget about the exhaust place.... as soon as they see that the car was running perfectly fine for 3 weeks (as evideneced by the date they worked on the car vs when Holden first looked at it), they are off the hook.
Your fight is going to be with Holden, and you're going to need those little fragments to prove your case.

Although VERY unlikely that those fragments came from the exhaust, they had to come from somewhere. And the only way to work that out is to see those fragments.

T

tommySV6Ute

Know any non destructive inspection trained types? They have the kit to tell you exactly what properties the fragments have. If it came from upstream then its likely to be a different metal to the headers/exhaust/welds.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
If its from the motor. Good chance its alloy.

Casting flash from the heads is my pick.

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
If this were true (that particles could enter the engine via the exhaust system ) then how many engines would be stuffed via dust/gravel from every day use..farmers rally drivers..off roaders..etc

Sounds like a total load of rubbish to me.

My advise would be stand firm and tell them you will being seeking legal represetaion if they don't repair the car in full.

"TELL" them...don't "ask" them..They are just trying to screw you...for sure

.Dont give an inch..got nuts...and watch them back down once you call their bluff.

Thats what I would do anyway...and... If your in Melb...and they play hard ball...then I know a really good barrister thats an old freind of mine that I am sure can help out.