Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Metal Welds from exhuast have possibly gone into the engine and caused damge.

Aaron_ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2 ssv sportwagon
Hi guys,

I bought my car in november, brand new. 3 weeks ago i got a full exhaust system put on, it has pacemaker headers, magnaflow cats and 3inch stainless steel x force cat back.

On friday i was driving and this ticking sound started happening from the engine, as the revs went higher the ticking became louder.. anyway to cut a long story short i had my car towed to holden, i was told by a family memeber who works at holden to not take the exhaust off and put the stock one back on becuase they will see that the exhaust has been tampered with, so i left it on. Anway they have pulled apart the engine and found 2 little fragments of metal (1/4 the size of a 5c peice) possibly weld in the combustion chamber and as damaged piston rings etc. Holden have told me that it is more than likely it has come from the exhaust via draw back at high rpm, can this happen? They are waiting to get it inspected by an engineer to see whether something has broken in the engine or if its from the exhasut. The exhaust was done 3 weeks ago so i was thinking if it was from there it would have happened straight away or at least in the first week?

What are your thoughts on the situation? should i wait till the report comes back and take it to the exhaust place? im sure they will say it wasnt them.

I dont even want to think about how much this will cost me.

cheers
Aaron

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Would have to be pretty lucky to get past the exhaust valve.
It is possible that there is gasket material and or weld spatter/material getting about, but for that to get drawn in to your engine, well, I'd be surprised.
Ask for pics

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It is pretty rare for a piece of weld to come from the extractors and go back into the engine. It won't be from the exhaust system as the fragment would have to go back through the cats, which won't happen. Pacemaker are a quality product, I doubt a piece of weld would have come off them. (But that isn't to say it can't happen).

I would say that if the spark plugs were removed to fit the extractors, something could have fallen in. That is the most likely scenario.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
What exactly is a exhaust valve?

its in the head and gets operated by rockers that are connected to the camshaft via a pushrod and lifter. the exhaust valve opens at the precise time to allow exhaust fumes to escape the combustion chamber

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
This reminds me of that time I sat on a coin and got a tummy ache a few weeks later.

... luckily for me, the two were not related.

I hope (and would expect) the outcome is the same for you.

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
Will Holden be covering this under warranty out of interest?

Aaron_ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it is caused by the exhaust they wont, but they have to be 100% sure that the exhaust caused the problem. As soon as i said i had a full exhaust system they pretty much said im screwed.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
sounds like the start of a slinging match between holden and the people who fitted the exhaust.
i would very much doubt its from the exhaust but stranger things have happend

Aaron_ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just got off the phone to holden, they are not covering it as a warrenty issue. He said off the top of his head it will cost upwards of $3,000 to fix, Next step is to get the people who fitted the exhaust to go down and have a look at it... i already know what they are going to say though.. looks like i'll be without my baby for a while...