Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Metric or Imperial?

slobberingant

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
I have a long standing debate with some of my friends as to when Holden switched their bolts from imperial to fully metric. Some say that Holden has been using metric bolts for many decades but only on the bodies and imperial bolts on the engine. I have heard that the VE commodore is the first model to come fully metric. Could anybody shed some light on this?

Cheers
:beer chug:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
It's possible the VE was the first fully metric. I know the buick and ecotec motors still had one or two imperial 3/8" bolts hiding on them.

Anybody with a GenIII care to shed some light?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Gen 3 should be fully metric? I know the valve stems and such are, so I can't see why the bolts wouldn't be. If so that would make the VT's ALMOST metric: ) apart from maybe the diff and gearbox

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I know my HQ is almost fully imperial if that helps ^_^

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Almost only? :)

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
HQ is fully Imperial Dan. As far as i'm aware, the first Holden to start the change over from Imperial to Metric was the WB. WB is a right pain, as it was basically a VB Commodore in regards to driveline so most of the fittings & bolts are metric, however there are some body bolts that are Metric (such as seat belt bolts) but all the outside body & hang on panels are imperial. As far as the first full Metric car, it really depends if its V6 or V8. Most of the bolts (i would say about 95%) on a V8 VN are Metric however, the V6 was still using some Imperial bolts when it was in a VY. Pretty sure LS1 is completely Metric.

Head_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sedan
HQ is fully Imperial Dan. As far as i'm aware, the first Holden to start the change over from Imperial to Metric was the WB. WB is a right pain, as it was basically a VB Commodore in regards to driveline so most of the fittings & bolts are metric, however there are some body bolts that are Metric (such as seat belt bolts) but all the outside body & hang on panels are imperial. As far as the first full Metric car, it really depends if its V6 or V8. Most of the bolts (i would say about 95%) on a V8 VN are Metric however, the V6 was still using some Imperial bolts when it was in a VY. Pretty sure LS1 is completely Metric.

I'll back up the wb part of that... Most of the bodywork bolts are imperial but the engine and a few others are metric

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Gen 3 should be fully metric? I know the valve stems and such are, so I can't see why the bolts wouldn't be. If so that would make the VT's ALMOST metric: ) apart from maybe the diff and gearbox

8mm or is that 5/16"?

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Does it matter? Everyone has a full compliment of metric and imperial tools right ;)