Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MI629 - LFX 25mm manifold insulator

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
looking forward to receiving this item in the coming days.

I understand that there may be cosmetic surgery required if I want to place the engine cover back on ? (which I will as the plastic manifold looks disgusting IMO) is this going to be on the underside of the engine cover or somewhere else ? as the instructions indicate the engine cowl ??

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/W...LFW_LF1_VE-VF_V6_MANIFOLD_INSULATOR_GUIDE.pdf

Cheers
Dan

MACE

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

In regards to your enquiry:

"I understand that there may cosmetic surgery required if I want to place the engine cover back on ? (which I will as the plastic manifold looks disgusting IMO) is this going to be on the underside of the engine cover or somewhere else ?"
The following may need to be modified when installing a 25mm insulator:
The cover will need to be trimmed around the alternator or bonnet the liner needs to be removed or trimmed. Otherwise the engine cover will rub on the bonnet liner.
--
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kindest Regards,
Simon

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Thx Simon (MACE)

The term 'cowl' is what confused me.

A) So is it a case of the engine cover will indeed go back onto the engine after the spacer is installed however the engine cover will rub on the bonnet liner ....

or

B) The engine cover will not go back on as the extra 25mm in height given to the plenum will mean that a dremel tool will need to be used to remove the underside ribbing of the engine cover .....

P.S. Package arrived yesterday after ordering late Thursday afternoon - great service thx guys

MACE

Reaction score
"The term 'cowl' is what confused me."
The cowl is basically the plastic mold that sits above and just aft of the firewall. This may have to be modified to a certain extent to allow for clearance of the raised manifold.

A) So is it a case of the engine cover will indeed go back onto the engine after the spacer is installed however the engine cover will rub on the bonnet liner ....

or

B) The engine cover will not go back on as the extra 25mm in height given to the plenum will mean that a dremel tool will need to be used to remove the underside ribbing of the engine cover ....."

Engine covers will not fit back on with the 25MM Manifold Insulators and to have these sitting correctly, trimming of the engine cowl (at the back of the engine bay) is required. They do tend to trap in heat so it’s not a bad idea taking them off.

"P.S. Package arrived yesterday after ordering late Thursday afternoon - great service thx guys"
Happy to hear.

Kindest Regards,
Damo

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Thx Damo,

I still havent had a good look at putting the engine cover back on yet so i will look at this later.

In point 3 of the guide it tells you to use the bolts supplied in the pack (bolt with triangular looking shape with 3 lines extruding)

These bolts need to be replaced with the bolt pack supplied in the kit. The 25MM Insulator & 12MM
Insulator require bolts however the 6.35MM do not require additional bolts

However there where none of these longer bolts shipped in my package to go through the runners, insulators and into the plenum to help lock all 3 units together and make the installation easier, as I had already gone to the point of no return I manged to get it all together carefully however I have a slight leak which can be heard on the left side of the engine which I will fix this next weekend.

Cheers
Dan

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score
Thx Damo,

I still havent had a good look at putting the engine cover back on yet so i will look at this later.

In point 3 of the guide it tells you to use the bolts supplied in the pack (bolt with triangular looking shape with 3 lines extruding)

These bolts need to be replaced with the bolt pack supplied in the kit. The 25MM Insulator & 12MM
Insulator require bolts however the 6.35MM do not require additional bolts

However there where none of these longer bolts shipped in my package to go through the runners, insulators and into the plenum to help lock all 3 units together and make the installation easier, as I had already gone to the point of no return I manged to get it all together carefully however I have a slight leak which can be heard on the left side of the engine which I will fix this next weekend.

Cheers
Dan
Hi Dan,

Unfortunately the fitting instructions need to be revised, as those Type BF screws that screw into to the plastic manifold are not included nor are the original ones reused.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hi Steve,

Sorry I have been AFK for a while.

I managed to redo this setup after a visit to QLD and getting into my fathers workshop to sort out the fitting and the leak.

We ended up going for a tougher grey gasket maker (from the same brand you supplied) as opposed to the blue.

We also went and got some 10G 50mm stainless screws from bunnings and fitted some spring washers and loctite to make sure they didnt work lose from the plenum. we also fitted some spring washers to the long bolts that go through to the head.

This spacer has provided noticeable sound difference and low end feels a little punchier.

Cheers for your help

MACE

Reaction score
"I managed to redo this setup after a visit to QLD and getting into my fathers workshop to sort out the fitting and the leak.
We ended up going for a tougher grey gasket maker (from the same brand you supplied) as opposed to the blue.
We also went and got some 10G 50mm stainless screws from bunnings and fitted some spring washers and loctite to make sure they didnt work lose from the plenum. we also fitted some spring washers to the long bolts that go through to the head.
This spacer has provided noticeable sound difference and low end feels a little punchier."
We appreciate the feedback and we'll definitely use it to further refine our kit and fitting instructions to make peoples lives easier. Glad to see there was a noticeable improvement in performance :)

Kindest Regards,
Damo