Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mid life project car

Eddy87vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for vs ute
Hello all, first time poster, new member.

I've been thinking and waiting for a while and the time has finally come for me to just dive in and do it. The finances and time I can finally afford. I'm interested in a vs ute. Would like any advice or pointers wether or not the vs is a good model to tinker with or if it has any issues that make it difficult or unique? Im a newbie with project cars, I come from a trade background pretty handy but not much mechanical experience. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Go for it.
I saw a nice white one yesterday.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Look for rust in all the usual places.

My VS 5.0 S rotted out bad in the tub around the wheel wells, basically hidden until I pulled out the tub liner for a look.

Eddy87vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for vs ute
Look for rust in all the usual places.

My VS 5.0 S rotted out bad in the tub around the wheel wells, basically hidden until I pulled out the tub liner for a look.
Thanks for that.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They're all old now so bound to have issues somewhere...midlife crisis definately go with a v8.

Doesn't need to be fast just got to sound good when cruising.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hi Eddy and Welcome to the forums...
A VS UTE is a good option to use as a project but finding a good one is a challenge.
Have you any idea where you want to go with it as in how far and how much you want to spend in the end?
You could go a V6 Turbo, Supercharged V6, 5LTR V8 or bigger V8
There is a section on the forums Show Off Your Ride with an area just for VR/VS you might want to have a look at to see other members rides. There might be something of interest to get the juices flowing

Eddy87vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for vs ute
Hi Eddy and Welcome to the forums...
A VS UTE is a good option to use as a project but finding a good one is a challenge.
Have you any idea where you want to go with it as in how far and how much you want to spend in the end?
You could go a V6 Turbo, Supercharged V6, 5LTR V8 or bigger V8
There is a section on the forums Show Off Your Ride with an area just for VR/VS you might want to have a look at to see other members rides. There might be something of interest to get the juices flowing

Hi Phillbert, thanks. Really friendly community you guys have here. The reason I want a vs is because i will never forget when i was a kid and I saw a yellow gts-r around a friends area.... it looked like a batmobile to me as a kid and have always had a thing for them. Firstly I'd like to retore to as original as i can and make it clean. In regards to performance mods I'd definitely like to go down that path eventually but not sure what and how, Im sure this forum will give me lots of ideas lol.

I will check out the show off your ride section now!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A V6 VS ute will be easier to find than a V8 I think. If you do go VS V6, a decent economical option would be L67 transplant and with some minor upgrades they can be made to go quite well I believe. @Phillbert has an L67 ute and he has a build thread.

Eddy87vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for vs ute
A V6 VS ute will be easier to find than a V8 I think. If you do go VS V6, a decent economical option would be L67 transplant and with some minor upgrades they can be made to go quite well I believe. @Phillbert has an L67 ute and he has a build thread.
A lot cheaper from what i can see too. Might make more sense until i get it reatored and then whack in what ever i feel later undsr the hood if o want too.