Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mikey's VN Calais

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Well, rims expecting tomrrow.. cant wait.. hope they dont get delayed.
Exhaust went on, as did the cold air intake...
The difference is pretty noticeable in the power stakes, and in sound... it went from no to woah!
Opens up about 3500rpm upwards and really sounds good, but still has a nice rumble on idle and take off.. it also remains quiet when not on the gas so keeps the attention low unless i want it.
CAI also works pretty well and gives a bit more go when taking off from a running start. Both have helped fuel efficiency too, going from around 7.6/100 cruising @ 100kmph to 6.2/100 @ 100kmph.
In the city its probably worse because i keep giving it throttle because i like the noise, haha!
Also picked up a pair of VS berlina doorpods and baffles to mount some splits in.

wes_v8

WES_VN
Reaction score
Website
streetrides.20.forumer.com
Members Ride
04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
well can't wait for pics of the dvd, hows the exhaust sound?, still got to get me a cold air intake, the wheels would like nice on ur car, i got the VS door pods everything needed for $40 a pair, but savin for my pioneer 6" 220W splits

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
yeah, exhaust is pretty nice. in fact, i reckon its just what i wanted. the only problem now is that every time a commie tears past when im in a shop or something, it sounds like my car thats been nicked or something, haha.
Ive got some fusion 6.5 inch splits. which are average.
My mate is trying to convince me to get some DLS iridium 6.5 inchers cos he gets them at cost price (save about $700 on RRP) but im not sure yet... i dont have an amp to run them so i feel it would be a waste.

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Well, i got the call today... the wheels are sitting at home waiting for me to finish work and fit them!!!!!!! YAAAAAAY!
So, provided I can get the nuts off after the brake place rattle gunned them on, and provided that they fit (18/8.5 40 profile) on the standard height car, then I should get some pics up tonight or tomorrow!

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Okey dokey... I got some pics... its a bit dark, but you get the idea.

calaisa.JPG

calais%20(1)a.JPG

calais%20(2)a.JPG

calais%20(4)a.JPG

calais%20(5)a.JPG

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
1 problem i had was with the wheel nuts.
The brace wouldnt fit in the hold for the nuts on the rim...
So i had to use the crappy boot brace, which was a nightmare and even then it was a tight fit.. which scraped hell out of the inside of the holes, but you can barely notice.
I love em... all it needs now is about 1.5inches down and im set.
Speaking of clearances...
The tyres sit about 6-7mm away from the front strut at the closest point. I havent had any problems with scrubbing or anything, and the rears have plenty of room to move, so 18x8.5 is perfect size for the car.
The ride is so smooth because the tyres are round, rather than the crappy oval shaped bob jane tyres, haha.
Unfortunately though, the weight of the new wheels means fuel economy has gone down a bit, but still within a reasonable level.
All in all, between exhaust, wheels and ICE, im pretty happy with the car now.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
that is the best example of a vn i have seen in a very long time....98000km's geez thats low, excellent find mate well worth wat u paid for it, lol :thumbsup:

just need to lower it now

cheers
ryan

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Last night I bothered myself to grab a K&N panel filter for the airbox.
The difference is quite noticeable I thought, when combined with the CAI and 2.5inch Exhaust.
Only change i want to make to the breathing system now is probably mandrel bent stainless intake pipe, and headers to bring the exhaust restriction down.
Also added to the car is some ultra blue headlights which give quite a nice effect.
Lastly on the list I have added VS Berlina doorpods for the splits in the front. havent fully wired up yet, but looks just like stock.