Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 mild cam for stock 5.0

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
i was thinking of putting a cam in my vp v8, the one i was looking at is the crow 282/282 223/223 @50thou 495lift and 114lobe seperation, this cam is very similar to the crane 284 but the crane has 112 lobe and not as much lift as the crow cam, wat i was thinking is my car is still stock compression and i noticed this cam has a higher lobe seperation than any other mild cam offered by crow or crane , crane do a cam thats got 113deg lobe seperation i think, but i thought this would be a good cam for a stock engine and at the same time it would be a nice cam for wen i throw the turbo on it , i just wanted to know has anyone used this cam before or something similer or maybe this cam is no good

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
My mate has a VERY similar cam to that in his otherwise stock 304 224/224 114 lsa. My advice would be don't do it :). He went from a 14.6 to 16.9 1/4 mile, cam swap only. That's a big drop in power. But it's a cam for boost really and that's what he is doing.

You would be much better off with a smaller cam on 112 lsa. Maybe 213 duration something like that, if you are keeping the standard manifold it's MOST important that you keep the peak powerband of the cam in the same range as the manifold 3500-4500 rpm

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
Crane do a direct swap for the grp A item and i have seen this do great figures on a stock engine. Make sure all your other bits ae in good order, cai, plugs leads etc and get it dyno tuned, i think you will be suprised

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
114/113 on 8.5 compression with a cam that size would drop your cylinder pressure a lot. If you go to the come racing website, they do a cam, lifter and memcal package for a stock holden 5L and they are saying it will give you 215fwkw atleast. I think these cams are around 205 duration so they would be perfect for the stock manifold.