Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Milkshake anyone? (VY Commodore gasket maybe?)

Darkness1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore 3.6 ecotec
My 2003 VY commodore ecotec has milkshake sludge under the oil cap, top of rocker covers full of it, the dipstick is pretty clean and the radiator, no coolant in the radiator just water, runs fine doesn't miss, does blow some white smoke. head gasket, Blown heads? manifold leak? or just condensation from driving short trips and sitting for awhile?

Last edited:

henstepper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore Executive s2
White milk under the oil cap, sorry to tell you, blown head gasket 90% positive. 100% coolant is leaking into the engine

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably LIM gaskets. The most common coolant leaking issue is the LIM on an Eco.

Darkness1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore 3.6 ecotec
Ok so you were right, the IM gasket was cracked around the water valleys and have sludge on the bolts etc.... Now I want to know whats the best way to clean the rest of the sludge from the engine.. I don't want to use a engine flush from supercheap or something as I've heard they can do more damage. I have some cheap 10w 40 oil to run for awhile, I'm just worried about something getting blocked etc...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Dig the oil and water mix out with your fingers. Then run a cheap oil for 1000km drop that and replace the filter as well. That should suffice, don't use flush on an old engine that hasn't had it used all its life.

Darkness1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore 3.6 ecotec
ok will do, when will I know the problem is solved and not the heads like
Henstepper said.. it doesn't over heat, does blow white smoke but I guess thats because of the water still inside the engine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The head gaskets rarely leak on Ecos, like really rare. LIM gasket leaks are so common its not funny.

Darkness1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore 3.6 ecotec
So just started the car today, car wouldn't start, took a few turns of the key once it started was running really rough almost like no fuel or spark plugs around wrong way, but I checked them and they are fine, checked all the vaccum hoses to make sure I didn't miss one, I did pull the throttle body apart and clean it, checked all the injectors were plugged in and other plugs. after awhile it runs ok, but I have a cheak engine light.... Turned the car off and started ok second time, but still have check engine light. Also checked the dipstick today and oil is looking abit brown, car stopped blowing white smoke after running for awhile though.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds like a vac leak or a sensor attached to the TB. I assume you have now replaced the LIM gaskets, yeah?

Darkness1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore 3.6 ecotec
my guess is the injecters got abit of gunk on them and it had a hard time cleaning it off, but it seams to start and run ok now. still have check engine though. just bleeding the system atm.