Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini spool question

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by munchmunchrotors4lunch, Oct 24, 2007.

1. munchmunchrotors4lunch

munchmunchrotors4lunch New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr V6 mazda 808, VN S1, VH SLE
    Well i have just found out that my diff in my VN is a 3.08:1 and i want a mini spool for it do i buy a 25 or 28 or a 30 spline piece for it?

im really unsure to this so the correct info would be greatly appreciated cheers:)

2. pandaman

pandaman Aussie Muscle Fan

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 5.0 A4
    28 spline. Honestly mate, you should've used the search button. This type of thread always ends up full of do goooders going nuts about how illegal and unsafe the damned things are. Personally I wouldn't want one in the wet, and any competent mechanic SHOULD knock you back for roadworthy with it.

3. STEALTHY™

STEALTHY™ So Wet For You!

Members Ride:
    VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
    Personally you can't drive then. An LSD in the wet is the same as a spool, unless its in its open wheeler stages.

4. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    How the hell is an LSD in the wet the same as a spool?

5. STEALTHY™

Members Ride:
    Both are powering both wheels. Being that there is less grip, the LSD will spin both wheels.

Either way, anyone who's actually driven a car with a spool knows how crap those types of comments are. If a spooled car lost it in the wet, its because the driver couldn't drive.

6. VLDavo

VLDavo New Member

Members Ride:
    lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
    yea i agree also when u have low really low profile tires. makes it a whole lot worse

7. STEALTHY™

Members Ride:
    I have 35s, and havn't noticed a different to when i run stockies (65s), but thats with a spool.

I will never own another car with an LSD

8. nathans1987

nathans1987 New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS 5.7L M6
    how many axels have you broken :p

9. STEALTHY™

Members Ride:
    1 about a week after i got the diff. 2 Brand new axles in after that, and 4 years without missing a beat. And i'm sure everyone has seen the vids ;)

10. vn calais manual

vn calais manual New Member

Members Ride:
    vn calais, vs clubsport #137
    what kinda oil do u guys use wiht your spooled diffs jsut standard diff oil?

11. pandaman

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 5.0 A4
    I'm not gonna argue with you stealthy, because i know it's a waste of time. I'm just waiting for the day you get defected and/or **** up and stack. :D

12. STEALTHY™

Members Ride:
    The car has been through regency (we don't have RWC, regency is where our cars get inspected) twice with the spool, and a mates SS went through 3 times. Going by that theory, they must be legal is our transport authority didn't see a problem ;)

The day i **** up and stack, is the day i hand in my license and stop driving

13. cracker

cracker New Member

iv had mine for over a year got it 3months after getting my p's i have never crashed or lost it, theres no difference between and spool and an lsd in the wet, if u cant drive dont get either.

14. pandaman

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 5.0 A4
    Second explanation, your transport authorities are incompetent. And as for ****ing up, happens to everyone sooner or later.

Believe what you like, I'm not the one with an unroadworthy vehicle and a bad attitude. :)

15. Boonz

Boonz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    green 355 VG ute
    yes transport SA isnt the best.... BUT a minispool is no different to me having a kaaz... they are basically locked but they are deemed legal... i agree tho if you cant learn to handle the car with a minispool or LSD dont drive it with one...

16. STEALTHY™

Members Ride:
    Yeah, but deterioration of said skills usually doesn't happen until your in your 50s or 60s. I'm sure i'll be fine for a few years yet.

Spools are illegal, but they are not unsafe. Its just another case of over-legislation. Such as this, VPs without the valance are allowed to be 50mm lower, even tho this piece of plastic (nothing to do with the bodywork) is only 30mm. Just another way to screw more people over.

If it was unsafe, i wouldn't have it in my car. It is there to provide me with a 100% reliable car, in the way that i know how it drives, and no matter what happens, it will never perform differently.

17. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    ignore all the other twats here, it's an age old argument with stealthy on one side and lots on the other. you want a minispool to suit a 28spline BW 78 diff. should be around the $80-100 and if your half competent with spinning a spanner it should take a couple hrs to install.

if you haven't previously driven a spool before or an LSD ( in good condition) i suggest you take it to a "private" ;) car park or maybe a paddock somewhere and go have a play so that you get use to how it handles.

take it easy in the wet and have fun.

now for the disclaimer part.... spools are illegal. you can get defected for it and if you do stack it one day and the insurance company finds out they will use it as an excuse not to pay out on the claim. that covers the legal stuff ;)

let us know how you get on:whistling

18. V85000i

V85000i Member

Members Ride:
    VP 5L Calais
    i've had a spool for about a month and a half now, and as stealthy has written 100's (maybe 1000's of times) there is nothing wrong with them, everyone (mainly people who don't have a spool and never driven with one) imply that in the wet, if you touch the throttle with a feather, the car will spin out an wrap around the nearest pole. that's bull i actually have to put a reasonable amount of boot into it, in the wet before it kicks out. the wheel skipping is only bad on rough cement and bitumen, on normal smooth roads i don't even fell a shudder.

19. winton

winton black+manual+19's=sex

Members Ride:
    vs SS II 5speed vx gts 19's
    EXACTLY!!!!. i couldnt of worded it better my self. its only people who never driven with a spool critsizing them. there is nothing wrong with them

20. STEALTHY™

Members Ride:
    Somebody has to set everyone straight. I'm glad i was shown the way of the spool instead of wasting $1000s getting an LSD + more tightening it every time it wears out.

Like i said on the legal side of things, that doesn't phase me, as most of the things we do to our cars are illegal, such as new P platers not allowed to get better brakes, being classed as a performance upgrade. What a load of crap, making a car safer is illegal. But nothing can change the rules the government impose, but fact is, spools are not unsafe. The driver will always be the cause of an accident in a spooled car, not the spool.