Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mini spool

Quinzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP HSV Clubsport 5th anniversary
hey peeps,

I have a mate that has a vp 5L drift car, It has a 3.08 LSD in it at the moment but he is looking to mini spool it. have looked on ebay for him and found a couple to suit borgwarner diffs but not sure which one he will need, he wants to go 3.45 ratio, I have also read that you cant mini spool LSD diffs. whats peoples thoughts on this and which is the best way to go?

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
hey peeps,

I have a mate that has a vp 5L drift car, It has a 3.08 LSD in it at the moment but he is looking to mini spool it. have looked on ebay for him and found a couple to suit borgwarner diffs but not sure which one he will need, he wants to go 3.45 ratio, I have also read that you cant mini spool LSD diffs. whats peoples thoughts on this and which is the best way to go?

No you cant spool a LSD.. If you want a spool then just sell the LSD and buy a single spinner and throw a spool in it.. If not then just keep the LSD.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
UW1SH is correct. I made this mistake once before. Pulled down my LSD only to find it can't be done, had to find and buy an open differential and go from there.

On another note, I have a minispool and 3.08 gearset out of my VN here in Townsville, if anyone local is after one I will get rid of it CHEAP, only catch is you have to pull the bits of shattered axle out of one end and I can't completely guarantee the integrity of the splines under there :)

Sam

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
got 3 hanging from my mirror

spool.jpg

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
As covered already, no a mini spool cant work in an lsd, essintually, an lsd already has a built in spool. Only reason for a spool is to make your live axel act as an lsd.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
As covered already, no a mini spool cant work in an lsd, essintually, an lsd already has a built in spool. Only reason for a spool is to make your live axel act as an lsd.

wow, way to be confusing.

minispool = locked = no slip
LSD = limited slip differential = some slip

Not same.

Quinzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP HSV Clubsport 5th anniversary
they where the ones i was looking at, cheers mate. think he has got it sorted. cheers guys ;)