Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini Spool

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Yeh, diff and trans sa were cheaper for a LSD though, Due to having IRS i think i might get a KAZZ diff. Diff and trans SA quoted $1700 drive in drive out for a KAZZ

A KAAZ will cause the same problems a spool does, as they have a locking effect. When the clutches eventually wear out, it wont have 100% of a locking effect. Not sure what i'd rather, $300, or $2000....

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
STEALTHY what have you done to the rear end on the car? bushes? new axles? im keen to try a mini spool but is there some things i should also instal/upgrade if i do?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
STEALTHY what have you done to the rear end on the car? bushes? new axles? im keen to try a mini spool but is there some things i should also instal/upgrade if i do?

Nothing.

Although when i had the VY diff put in, i had new axles aswell, because i snapped one of the 2nd hand ones after about a week.

vs_ss_matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VS SS, Deep Dish Starcorp Impul White Wheels
STEALTHY I am keen to see your car one day!

I guess you wont come across to many problems if you treat the car with some respect. Mine is a daily driver, I love sliding around corners, but I simply cant do it in peak hour traffice to and from work. I cant imagine I will have to many problems in these conditions!?

However, on the weekend! mmmmm I cant wait, wish boss could have fit me in this week! I am like a kid in a candy store

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Ok then, thanks for the info mate! Will get one next time i service her. cheers

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
STEALTHY I am keen to see your car one day!

I guess you wont come across to many problems if you treat the car with some respect. Mine is a daily driver, I love sliding around corners, but I simply cant do it in peak hour traffice to and from work. I cant imagine I will have to many problems in these conditions!?

However, on the weekend! mmmmm I cant wait, wish boss could have fit me in this week! I am like a kid in a candy store

My car has never let me down, but its always serviced, and always gets 'new' items if needed, not 2nd hand (most recently a radiator)
I drive my car to and from work, and its just like any other car.;)

I had the same issue with Boss being busy, guess thats just how it is when your that good at your job. Its worse for me, as i live so far away from them, so i had to trailer the car there and back.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
4.11's with a 6 speed? first would end as soon as you take your foot off the clutch lol.

running a standard (as fitted by holden) T56 with 3.73 diff ratio gives almost the exact same 1st gear performance (i.e. speed Vs RPM) as the V6 T5 with 3.08 ratio, (1st gear) T56 with 3.45 diff ratio is identical to a V8 T5 with 3.08 diff ratio and 1st gear in a V8 T5 is fairly long. with a T56 i wouldn't got any longer then a 3.73 diff ratio, otherwise 1st gear is really long and 6th becomes almost useless (100km/h@1550rpm 6th gear, 3.73 ratio). so 3.89 or 4.11 with a T56 isn't to bad at all

fitting a minispool is fairly simple if your ride has a open diff centre, anybody with a little mechanical knowledge and tools should be able to do it in about 3-4 hrs i think. fitting a full spool on the other hand is a little more involved because effectivly the spool becomes the new diff centre, as such the new spool needs to be set properly to get the correct backlash and wear pattern on the gears. in my opinion something best left to a profesional diff shop/workshop. it's not something i would do at home

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I had the same issue with Boss being busy, guess thats just how it is when your that good at your job. Its worse for me, as i live so far away from them, so i had to trailer the car there and back.

generally a sign of a good outfit when they are always bussy:thumbsup: