Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini Spool

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
From my personal experience with a spool the lat 5 years

"bent around trees" X
"parked in lounge rooms" X
accelerated tyre wear X
under steer X

Is it only in certain situations this occurs?

As I said, iti's usually caused by people "having fun around corners". Combine that and in-experience and all of the above happen. Not only limited to spools though.

Guess your in the wrong thread, he asked how much and where, he got both, and will soon decide for himself (i already know what the answer will be, and am sure that spool will be in there for many months to come ;))

No doubt that he will put one in there. I will probably be installing one in my car myself soon however that car is for the track.

Reaper

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
As I said, iti's usually caused by people "having fun around corners". Combine that and in-experience and all of the above happen. Not only limited to spools though.

No doubt that he will put one in there. I will probably be installing one in my car myself soon however that car is for the track.

Reaper
Answered your own post for me. As said, wrong thread. You don't want one in a daily driver, fair enough, but many people have them, and are 100% happy with them. Few are not, and go back to an LSD.

vs_ss_matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VS SS, Deep Dish Starcorp Impul White Wheels
Well the mini spool is in my SS.

My verdict is..................I LOVE IT

Positives:
It is so much more pradictable then the LSD I had. It was pretty wet when I picked it up, so I was extra cautious. I put my foot down around some wide open corners in Lonsdale and it steped out an slide (like I wanted and expected)! So for me, I am extremely happy as that is all I wanted it to do.

I have only driven on it for about 3 hours but all seems to be good. I have driven it in the wet and the dry also. With the LSD it would light up at the lights if I just touched the accelerator (one wheel or sometimes two), now it seems to take off much better and wuicker in the dry. In the wet if you hit it too hard well it starts to pull sideways befor it has even moved forward!

Overall the driveability of it is almost axactly the same, well at normal driving speeds.

Negatives:
After 3 hours when doing tight turns, you can hear the wheels screetching. This soesnt bother me and I am already quickly getting used to it. I am sure some poeple wouldnt like it at all.

I dont think I would like to go to a U-Park or anything in the city as it would just be annoying.

For now that is all the negatives.

Overall:
I am really happy with it. It does what I want when I want. I havent driven it as hard as normal and I wont until I feel 100% comfortable with it and now exactly how it will react.

For those who do not have one yet abut are considerring getting a mini spool. I would say do it. My car is a daily driver also.

Cheers STEALTHY for recommending me to Boss Automotive, Graham was a great help and I will be going back to him to get the gears changed as soon as I pay off a fine! (not car related!)

Any comments or questions welcome

Matt

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Sounds good matt. I was keen to get a spool but it looks like im going to have to sell the VT soon and walk. Just be careful in this rain hey mate! :)

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
Glad ur happy with it!!!

And speaking of U-Park's!!! I had to go one in town a few weeks ago, no parks until the top floor!!! I was only driving slow but it sounded like there was a hoon in the car park! (well, there was but I wasnt being one at the time!)

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
How much did it cost mate for them to fit it?

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Glad ur happy with it!!!

And speaking of U-Park's!!! I had to go one in town a few weeks ago, no parks until the top floor!!! I was only driving slow but it sounded like there was a hoon in the car park! (well, there was but I wasnt being one at the time!)

Hahaha you don't really want to meet a cop at the top after that lool.

vs_ss_matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
I piad $395 for supply and fit the mini spool. That was much cheaper than most palces that wanted almost $600.

I was happy to hear when they opened the diff it all looked good inside. I havent had the car too long now, I am guessing the person who owned it befor me was a young dude, so I was tipping the diff would have been in bad shape, but lucky it isnt.

Do you live in Adelaide Wavez? If so and your thinking of getting one, go to Boss Automotive! Def recommend them!

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
Hahaha you don't really want to meet a cop at the top after that lool.

Be a bit hard to explain ay! Id be either leaving with a defect or a hoon warning!

vs_ss_matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just wish I had a manual now I have the mini spool. I guess that will be the next thing on the long list of future mods.

I am going to put the starcorps on the back and take the stockies off on the weekend. They are 265 on the back so def more grippy then the stockies. I just dont want the attention from the boy in blue with the black car and the black stockies on the back! It looks liek I have been doing skids! ;) hahahah