Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini Spools

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I think he means tail end drifting out rather than kicking out under power. If you think of the physics of it, when you go around a corner and both wheels are locked, one of the back wheels isn't going to always be making traction, meaning during cornering there are times when the centrifugal force of the back end of the car is only being transferred to the road through one tyre, not two. That's why they're illegal.

But the back end isn't going to be sideways.
My mum could drive my car to work and back in a flash flood and not break traction.

Its all about the driver, that said, if your worried about losing it in the wet with a locked diff, chances are you can't drive for **** anyway, and shouldn't get a locked diff ;)
Like i said, the back end wont step out in the wet, even under normal acceleration.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
I think he means tail end drifting out rather than kicking out under power. If you think of the physics of it, when you go around a corner and both wheels are locked, one of the back wheels isn't going to always be making traction, meaning during cornering there are times when the centrifugal force of the back end of the car is only being transferred to the road through one tyre, not two. That's why they're illegal.

Scientifically, theoretically and actually that is true. However, some people are invincible so your logical explanation will be lost here.
In such a case a measurable percentage of traction will be lost when compared to a car without a spool.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Scientifically, theoretically and actually that is true. However, some people are invincible so your logical explanation will be lost here.
In such a case a measurable percentage of traction will be lost when compared to a car without a spool.

No-one is debating that. The guy above asked if it will just randomly kick out when driving at a normal speed around a bend (80k's on a windy road), to which it wont. Plenty of people, with boats (commodores) drive spooled cars in the wet, in the hills all the time without issue.

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
you can't guarantee it won't. Not for the fact that you WILL lose traction to some degree. We all know it hasn't happened to you, but that doesn't mean it won't happen to someone at some stage.
I'm not religious in anyway, science all the way...

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
you can't guarantee it won't. Not for the fact that you WILL lose traction to some degree. We all know it hasn't happened to you, but that doesn't mean it won't happen to someone at some stage.
I'm not religious in anyway, science all the way...

You can't guarantee that tree wont fall on your car just as you drive under it, yet you still go out on the road ;)

I'm yet to hear of anyone with a spool 'spinning out' in the situation the guy above asked. Unless were counting people who's cousins uncles sisters friend down the street, who have :)

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
that's exactly right. i didn't say it would happen, just that it's a possibility - moreso with a spool.

You told the guy it "wont" which semantically means it will try to, however i suspect you mean won't which isn't true either. You can't tell the guy it won't when it might and could.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
I recon if everyone on this forum had a favourite shape. It would most likely be a circle, for most of the time it all people ever go around in!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
that's exactly right. i didn't say it would happen, just that it's a possibility - moreso with a spool.

You told the guy it "wont" which semantically means it will try to, however i suspect you mean won't which isn't true either. You can't tell the guy it won't when it might and could.

I'll remember next time a thread like this comes up, to say 'theres 99.9% chance that it won't happen, but theres still that 0.1% chance it could happen.

And i was sure it was you telling someone to get over the 'bad wording' in that other thread haha:p

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
mine did it randomly once in the wet. but i had bald 15" tyres at the back and was prob going a bit too fast aswell. i thought it was fun missus didnt lol

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
mine did it randomly once in the wet. but i had bald 15" tyres at the back and was prob going a bit too fast aswell. i thought it was fun missus didnt lol

Go around that same corner in the wet with bald tyres with an LSD fitted, and i bet the same will happen. Completely irrelevant post. Thanks for trying tho.