Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini spools

V

vsII manual

Does anyone know if you can get spool to increase the ratio of the diff? Mini spools give you lowerdiff ratio for better take offs etc but can you get the opposite? Prob a dumb question as everyone wants better take off, but can you get them?

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
A minispool and a ratio gears are two separate things. A minispool is basically a locked diff where both wheells spin exactly the same all the time, the ratio doesn't depend on the minispool it's something that's chosen independently to your liking. If you want a better take off get a different ratio eg (3.5, 3.7, 4.11 etc) it's up to you whether you'd want it to be minispooled or LSD.

B

Benji...

Spools and mini-spools do nothing to change the ratio what-so-ever. To change ratio then its a gear change.

Spools or mini-spools work by removing the guts of the diff (spider gears or the whole centre) replacing with the spool of choice. This removes the differental part of the system and fully locks the rear wheels together.
This means the rears turn the exat same amount all the time regardless of traction or turning.

The benifits are that there is no wanker single spinning or the LSD wearing out and going to **** a 1000 kays after a rebuild.
Downsides are that it will **** you later on when cornering as it will chatter and crab around corners.

I run a fully locked arse end in my ute pwith the standard 3.08 ratio as its a waste of time going taller. Sedans are not best suited for lockers as they are heavier in arse yet use weaker axles. The later utes however have moch stronger and thicker axels reduce chatter and breakages that are common with normal axels.

V

vsII manual

Oh ok, thanks for the in put. I was way off. But can imagine a lock diff would cause some cornering issues. I might just get a taller diff then, mine is whining alot anyway.

B

Benji...

No issues at all for me, its full drift at most corners for this little black duck... HeHe HeHe

AWSUMVB308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl/e 308
wat is the differance between a mini spool and a full spool apart from mounting?

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
If i remember right the minispool just replaces your spider gears in the centre and puts the big lump of steel in there with splines on each end for the axles. full spool is when you just bolt your crownwheel to the spool with splines in the end. full spool would be stronger but you'd wanna have a tough engine to break a minispool.

AWSUMVB308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl/e 308
so pretty much the cost and the strength is the only difference

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I run a fully locked arse end in my ute pwith the standard 3.08 ratio as its a waste of time going taller. Sedans are not best suited for lockers as they are heavier in arse yet use weaker axles. The later utes however have moch stronger and thicker axels reduce chatter and breakages that are common with normal axels.

Hmmmm. all commodores from VN-VS use the same BW78 diff with the same axles (live axle). the only difference was that the V8 models got shot peened gears.

commodores don't break axles in the normal configuration.

late model utes (VU onwards) use the BW80 diff in IRS form which are bigger.