Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini spools

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by vsII manual, Jul 11, 2005.

1. vsII manual

vsII manual Guest

Does anyone know if you can get spool to increase the ratio of the diff? Mini spools give you lowerdiff ratio for better take offs etc but can you get the opposite? Prob a dumb question as everyone wants better take off, but can you get them?

2. Raging Bull

Raging Bull New Member

Members Ride:
    VX S Pack L67
    A minispool and a ratio gears are two separate things. A minispool is basically a locked diff where both wheells spin exactly the same all the time, the ratio doesn't depend on the minispool it's something that's chosen independently to your liking. If you want a better take off get a different ratio eg (3.5, 3.7, 4.11 etc) it's up to you whether you'd want it to be minispooled or LSD.

3. Benji...

Benji... Guest

Spools and mini-spools do nothing to change the ratio what-so-ever. To change ratio then its a gear change.

Spools or mini-spools work by removing the guts of the diff (spider gears or the whole centre) replacing with the spool of choice. This removes the differental part of the system and fully locks the rear wheels together.
    This means the rears turn the exat same amount all the time regardless of traction or turning.

The benifits are that there is no wanker single spinning or the LSD wearing out and going to **** a 1000 kays after a rebuild.
    Downsides are that it will **** you later on when cornering as it will chatter and crab around corners.

I run a fully locked arse end in my ute pwith the standard 3.08 ratio as its a waste of time going taller. Sedans are not best suited for lockers as they are heavier in arse yet use weaker axles. The later utes however have moch stronger and thicker axels reduce chatter and breakages that are common with normal axels.

4. vsII manual

vsII manual Guest

Oh ok, thanks for the in put. I was way off. But can imagine a lock diff would cause some cornering issues. I might just get a taller diff then, mine is whining alot anyway.

5. Benji...

Benji... Guest

No issues at all for me, its full drift at most corners for this little black duck... HeHe HeHe

6. AWSUMVB308

AWSUMVB308 New Member

Members Ride:
    vb sl/e 308
    wat is the differance between a mini spool and a full spool apart from mounting?

7. old mate

old mate New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Sedan / GU Patrol
    If i remember right the minispool just replaces your spider gears in the centre and puts the big lump of steel in there with splines on each end for the axles. full spool is when you just bolt your crownwheel to the spool with splines in the end. full spool would be stronger but you'd wanna have a tough engine to break a minispool.

8. AWSUMVB308

AWSUMVB308 New Member

Members Ride:
    vb sl/e 308
    so pretty much the cost and the strength is the only difference

9. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Hmmmm. all commodores from VN-VS use the same BW78 diff with the same axles (live axle). the only difference was that the V8 models got shot peened gears.

commodores don't break axles in the normal configuration.

late model utes (VU onwards) use the BW80 diff in IRS form which are bigger.

10. Troy5L

Troy5L building a lemon

Members Ride:
    Gu patrol td42
    i thought it was from VT series 2 that they started to use BW80

11. immortality

Members Ride:
    Yep, VT s2 V8, super6. the standard V6 still stuck with the BW78. however i was replying to a post with reference to utes

12. old mate

old mate New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Sedan / GU Patrol
    didn't the utes also get shot peened gears too?

13. Pickled

Pickled Member

Members Ride:
    Barina
    Wrong thread!

14. Benji99

Benji99 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vx executive 2001 sedan
    Hey mate i have an 01 vx sedan standard ratio diff question I’m asking is about the diff and downfall on having a mini spool in the long run not sure if mine has one or not but going around right corners it’s really chattery and as if the right wheel is bouncing I’ve had the whole ass end off the ground and spun the cv’s and both wheels turn almost identically just wondering if that could be from having a mini spool or swapped lsd insides cheers ben

15. immortality

Members Ride:
    Could be a very tight LSD or similar after market locker type centre , less likely someone put in a minispool.