Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Minor lowering: Only change springs?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Ok well I want to lower my sexy new VX wagon but not by much - I only wanted to put some King Lows in to make sure I'm not going to get into an annoying soap drama with the insurance company.

So am I right to just throw the King springs in? Or do I need to replace the shocks as well? I've read stories in the VT/VX forum about needing to install a camber kit, I have the VX series 2 executive wagon, so is this still necessary? What sort of price am I looking at?

Actually, just remembered - is a strut brace likely to make any difference to handling? I've been driving a VN for a while now and I can tell it would have been greatly thankful for a strut brace (never put one on though :( ) but the VX from my driving it so far is a greatly different vehicle and seems to be much more stable in the front around corners.

I'm not looking at spending big, I just want the car to sit a bit lower, handle a bit better and have a bit of a firmer ride.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
I would replace the shocks as with 125,000kms on them ,they would be the original shocks from the factory.

(No point doing the springs with worn shocks)

A camber kit wouldn't be necessary (depending on how low you go) as the series 2 has the revised IRS.

After fitting the suspension i would get a wheel alignment on all 4 wheels.

With the strut brace its up to you. There is a genuine Holden one you can get from your Holden dealer or off eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Commodore-VT-VX-VY-FRONT-STRUT-BRACE-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ270011096917QQihZ017QQcategoryZ102358QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I got one of these and will be installing soon....
You will have to drill into the strut tower as there are no strut brace mounts.

Have a look at this thread...

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=34907

goldencommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Commodore
i was going to do same thing just get low king springs and 2 point chamber kit, cause i found out from 2 quotes i have that its over a grand with lowered shocks, i got quoted $800 for springs and chamber kit from one place, $750 from another. i was thinking of buying one of those strut braces cause i found one on ebay for like $30 do they make a difference? On the gold coast if u know of any places that would do my springs cheaper it would be great to know thanks

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
You can get King Springs Lows for a VX wagon on eBay for $240

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I've just asked the seller how much shipping is from their location to the Central Coast in NSW (not spreading my postcode on here :p)

Will post postage cost when I know it - of course it may vary depending on where you are located yourself (Goldencommodore)

goldencommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Commodore
hey thanks but i forgot to tell u guys i have a vt sedan. would it work out cheaper if i bought them off like ebay and got them installed by someone

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
You can get King lows for a VT sedan for $240 as well, and the springs themselves IMO you can do yourself - the rears anyway, at least I could on my VN. Never tried to do fronts. Of course if you're not confident doing them yourself you can find someone who will - either for free or otherwise.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.