Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

minor oil leak vx l67

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
hey guys ive just discovered I have a minor oil leak,ive jacked it up and degreased it all but am yet to see a sign of where it could be coming from. It also seems it will only leak when its cold, any help is appreciated of where to look/common problem.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Can you be a little more specific of where the oil is coming from (I know you said it's hard to trace) but is it the front or rear of the motor, somewhere high or only oily down low etc??? Is it dripping oil where you park it? If so, under what part of the motor is this? I'd say the most common leak on a V6 is the rear main crank seal.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Its leaking where the transmission sits on the passenger side of the car, and yes its leaking when I park it and only seems to leak when engine is cold/off. cheers

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
So at the front of the transmission where it meets the back of the engine block? If so, and its black in colour (i.e. engine oil and not trans oil) i'd say my first guess is right and its your rear main leaking. Gearbox has to be removed to replace the crank seal and alloy plate gasket.