Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Misfire / traction control type issue

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
So my series 2 acclaim has had this for a while but it's only now becoming more frequent.

When I take of from the lights or sometimes under load when moving (like accelerating from 40-60km/h under 3/4 throttle) my car misfires like it feels when the traction control is on (I always have it off normally) and I know it's not spark plugs, wire, coil pack and the base plate they sit on as I did the whole lot when the issue first happened and it didn't make a difference. The cars done 256k kms and the mechanic thinks it may be the abs module playing up and a friend thinks it could be something like the cam sensor.

I had a quick search to see if anyone else had this issue but it's a tricky one to describe in the search

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
So my series 2 acclaim has had this for a while but it's only now becoming more frequent.

When I take of from the lights or sometimes under load when moving (like accelerating from 40-60km/h under 3/4 throttle) my car misfires like it feels when the traction control is on (I always have it off normally) and I know it's not spark plugs, wire, coil pack and the base plate they sit on as I did the whole lot when the issue first happened and it didn't make a difference. The cars done 256k kms and the mechanic thinks it may be the abs module playing up and a friend thinks it could be something like the cam sensor.

I had a quick search to see if anyone else had this issue but it's a tricky one to describe in the search

Not entirely sure if your model has a throttle relaxer but i am having a similar issue which is throttle relaxer/Traction control related. My T/C will randomly switch off and when it does and i put my foot down it's like i have hit a dead spot in the engine with almost no power available....similar to how it feels when all of your spark plugs are stuffed. When this happens i pull over, turn the car off pull the keys out, open and shut the door then restart it. T/C is then acting normally and i have all 435hp available again and roar up the road.
For me i know it's the throttle relaxer because i can hear it making crunching and knocking noises. Have a good listen for it and you might hear it also in yours....then you'll know for sure what it is.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
So it's not a traction control fault then? You said like a traction control fault yes? Sounds very like dfi / coil / lead / plug any access to someone else's car for a quick swap to test?

What's the condition of your vacuum hoses, might be worth a look into! Spray carby cleaner over the hoses one at a time while the car is running and listen for a difference at idle!

Checked for codes?

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
So it's not a traction control fault then? You said like a traction control fault yes? Sounds very like dfi / coil / lead / plug any access to someone else's car for a quick swap to test?

What's the condition of your vacuum hoses, might be worth a look into! Spray carby cleaner over the hoses one at a time while the car is running and listen for a difference at idle!

Checked for codes?

it doesn't throw a code but it feels like the traction control is kicking in (when i always turn it off just after i start the car) so if i either go off from the lights under half or more throttle or sometimes to speed up it will feel like the traction control is kicking in for a brief moment but its not something i can do on command it could happen tomorrow or in a few days time

ive changed the dfi,coil, lead and plugs and it still does it. I have had the car tuned back a couple of years ago by Mace for the larger throttlebody i got but it never had any problems when i first got it.

The car has done 256,000kms so if certain sensors are prone to play up around that many kms then maybe its one of those but last time check it had no fault codes

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Like said above, check for vacuum leaks