Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

misfiring?

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
ok replaced cracked plug cleaned the rest and its actually worse now. serious trouble starting, a couple of times blew whitish smoke from top of engine. once its going its rough as. can anyone give me an idea on an engine recondition price and hopefully this will fix the problem and will get better performance and economy from it? im not willing to throw this enigine away its only got 100,000Km on it.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
If you want to keep the same motorA recondition done on the motor by a place who does good work is giong to cost a bit easily a 1000 and more you just ring around and ask or otherwise you can do an exchange. I suggest you take it to someone who knows their stuff and get them to fix it it'll be a lot cheaper.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
looking at my engine it may be a lot of work anyway. from looking at it it needs seals or gaskets or whatever right down to the sump.... possibly... i really dont know i might find a workshop that does free quotes or something.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok at home now and had another look. source of white smoke from the top of the engine is coming from carby. its a varajet 2 is this normal in any way? im thinking ive found the source hopefully. is the thing connected to the dizzy by one spark lead the coil? whatever that is i think i can hear an electric crackly sort of noise coming from it... or is that just the distributor turning and hitting the terminals? it sounds too slow to be that but then again i have no idea how fast the rotor in the dizzy spins. im thinking after the hose down i finally killed it as it looks like an original ie 23 years old. any thoughts after this info?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Alright get yourself a can of INOX or RP7 or WD40. Spray that crap on the distributor posts (all of them) and also on the spark plug tips. Also open up the distributor cap and spray some in there. If you see moisture in there, wipe it out with a rag and spray a little in there. INOX is non conductive. It can help cure problems.

I degreased my bros VK barge a while back and I ended up spraying some INOX on the dizzy contacts and it made the barge come back in tune. Give it a try.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
yobbo88 said:
ok at home now and had another look. source of white smoke from the top of the engine is coming from carby. its a varajet 2 is this normal in any way? im thinking ive found the source hopefully. is the thing connected to the dizzy by one spark lead the coil? whatever that is i think i can hear an electric crackly sort of noise coming from it... or is that just the distributor turning and hitting the terminals? it sounds too slow to be that but then again i have no idea how fast the rotor in the dizzy spins. im thinking after the hose down i finally killed it as it looks like an original ie 23 years old. any thoughts after this info?

Your coil is connected to the distributor by a single lead. The rest go to the spark plugs. Make sure they are connected right. You haven't unplugged them and put them back eh? If you connect the leads wrong, the barge will run like a 'barge'. :rofl:

Don't touch anything!

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
i understand the flow of how the ignition system works and know the firing order so all the leads are correct. if the coil is old and basically dead will it make an engine misfire? the distributor cap and rotor is 3 days old and is fine no moisture at all. leads are all dry and have taken out spark plugs and cleaned them all. gap seems ok on all. im now thinking the problem is before distributor and leads ie the coil. is it possible the problem is there?

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
changed ignition coil and no joy. i dunno this is shitting me... can anyone help?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Have you got a picture of this problem mate? is it still the oil problem? or engine problem?

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
i dont think it was ever the oil problem now that ive been over everything else. its not electric as far as i can tell as ive replaced ignition coil, dizzy cap, rotor, leads (twice) and plugs (twice). ive now got it down to maybe carbon cooked onto the pistons? i didnt think it had any relevance but after talking to a guy at exhaust place (booked in car for extractors) he asked if my car keeped firing for a bit after i turn it off if the engines warm. it does do this so i think im gonna have to get it opened up and have pistons etc cleaned. while the mechanics in there ill have the ports or whatever shaved etc so ill get my moneys worth. doesthis sound like a probable cause? im just not looking forward to paying for something i may be able to do if i had access to tools... oh well