Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

misfiring?

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
got my car back yesterday arvo with shiny new extractors on it! the guy fixed all vacuum leaks got rid of the air pump and replaced a lot of hoses as well. he did a test on my cylinders and found out number 6 is my problem. he recommended a compression test and kinda left it at that cause he was busy. i can get a compression test done through a friend but what do i do with results? if there is low compression does that mean a head gasket or something? and worse if there is compression and its definately not the lead or plug what do i look for?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
It would probably be a burnt valve. You either put up with it or get a reco head. My old Sigma had cylinder 3 out and it ran like a barge for ages. I didn't want to waste money on getting another head.

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
may be valves or a ring, have had a few gaskets go and the easiest way to check is to check the oil cap.. but if its the original motor more likely a valve..?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Get your timing checked out mate :)

What spark plugs u using? i'am using NGK's

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
a burnt valve cant be replaced seperately? replacing a head would be a bit of money and i give enough of it away already... ill figure out a way to get it stripped down and take a look at all suggestions... its definately not electrical ive been through the whole ignition system and been zapped enough times to know its all working. NGK plugs in my car too. oh and id timing hard to get checked and fixed? as in chuck a timing light on the dizzy and go from there?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Timing won't fix your non firing cylinder. Plugs won't really make a difference if they had been checked.
You could replace one valve but it wouldn't be worth it as another valve is probably on its way out. You would usually replace all the valves and have your head machined. Like nizmovk said it could be your rings but if it doesn't blow smoke it's probably a valve that's causing your cylinder to be out.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Slim said:
Timing won't fix your non firing cylinder. Plugs won't really make a difference if they had been checked.
You could replace one valve but it wouldn't be worth it as another valve is probably on its way out. You would usually replace all the valves and have your head machined. Like nizmovk said it could be your rings but if it doesn't blow smoke it's probably a valve that's causing your cylinder to be out.

ok so new angle of attack... how much is this sort of work? i may be able to get a new head and put that in myself but a more long term solution would be all new valves and have it machined. i cant do that alone so i guess a mechanic is the best bet... ball park on price for this work? when i ask the mechanic and he says "awww your probably lookin at around 7000" i wanna be able to slap him and go somewhere else ( i know it wont cost 7000 but if anyone here has heard of Dane Cook then they'd get it... i spose its wasted here actually)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
An exchange head is 250 bucks from my work

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
are the exchange heads new? or at least the valves and stuff all replaced? cause thats not a terrible price i spose

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
They Reco heads ready to bolt on with hardend valves and valve seat inserts all ready to run gas. been machined and i'm pretty sure we give you the gasket aswell