Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

miss firing on one bank?? help

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
yeah, no doubt i will, but i seriously hope it never happens to anyone else, might get a secondhand ecu and see if it makes any difference

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Have you opened the DFI unit? to have a look at the guts of the thing.

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, looks alright, then secondhand one lookd good two, got me puzzled why its only missing on one side of the poil pack,
also i have tried the coil pack and dfi module on another Vn and runs perfect, doesnt miss a beat at all, got me buggered, but yeah im just going to go through all the wiring and check it all, might even try another loowm whcih i have out the back, see if it helps, also change the ecu , i will get to the bottom of this as soon as i can

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
well i got a new loom, and still no different, still not sparking constant on one side of the coil pack, i also tried another ecu and still no different, this is a very confusing problem and has me very well buggered now, anyone can suggest anything else?

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
On a wasted spark system one bank fires with the positive side of the coil, the other fires with the negative side. The reverse side takes more energy to fire so this may be why you have a scattered beam on one side of the coil.
Another thing to watch for is that a bad spark plug or lead on one bank can cause the other bank to miss.
Also if you are using a timing light that clips on the lead some of these clips need to face in the direction of current. If this is so with your timing light you could be connecting onto one bank with the incorrect current flow.

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
yes i am using an inductive pick up timing light, and it is fitted correctly, might get another set of leads and plugs again and see if it makes any difference

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
What I meant to say mate is if your inductive pick up is directional, one side of the coil current is reverse & may need the pick up to be reversed on the lead to function correctly.

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, now i understand, will try that tonight. dont know what else to try, might buy another car, some jap car or something cheap to run. but i will keep working on this problem until i figure it out,

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Might be worth checking all the earth leads for good clean contact as well. There is a few of them so follow the loom closely.
When you drive the car when is the miss most obvious. Does it only happen when you accelerate or the car is under load?
With the car running rich it could be an injector problem.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have you looked at the crank angle sensor under the balancer, i've checked the gregories manual the only inputs to the DFI module are the ecu and the crank sensor plus outputs to the tacho so i would suggest that you possibly have a bad connection/wire between the DFI module and either the ecu or Crank angle sensor. i don't think it's related to the injector cause this engine runs a group injection system where all the injectors open/close together on a single circuit with twin outputs from the ecu. good idea though to use the inductive timing light to check the firingoutput of the coils etc