Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

miss firing on one bank?? help

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
hey everyone, my car been miss firing for a while, well since i got it about a year ago, i have checked compression, and is all good, i have replace DFI module, coil pack, plugs, leads, crank sensor, and it still got me bugger, now i put the timing light on each lead cos it should spark all the time or every second reviloution, and i check all the right side, 4,2,6 and they are sparking beautifully, not missing a beat under all revs, then i checked the other side (left) 1,5,3 and they are all intermittent, and when you open up the throttle it almost stops sparking, even on idle, it sparks then it doesnt, sometimes constant and so on, got me absolutley bugger, just wondering if anyone had any ideas or anything i could check or test,
i have also tried another module, another coil pack, tried new leads again

cheers, nick

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
When you tried the different module/core pack - it still miss fired on 1,5,3?
MAP, Throttle & oxy sensors would not affect spark. - Good problem to solve.
Does the car have any fault codes from the computer?

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
this is gonna sound silly but maybe loose injector or injector lead on that side or maybe wiring is burnt out and when car heats up gets worse ??

You have replaced most of everything ... hmmm

does you car use coolant .. maybe inlet manifolds leaking into those cylinders...

maybe electric regulator is dead... my car was doing same sort of thing ... loss of power idling rough like it was gonna stall... thought was alternator but was regulator,sounds like wiring is loose or burnt out on that side...

Try taking of battery lead for 5 mins to reset computer......

maybe loose earth or similar ???

Another thing to look for is if you have a leaking radiator hose or similar that can cause havoc with your electrical systems....

thats all i can think of....

let us know how u go mate..

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, its got me a bit buggered, it does it all the time, but ive got it narrowed to somewhere before the coilpack or module, when i get enough time im going to trace every wire and make sure nothing is loose or broken or melted etc. also it definately a spark issue only on the 135 side of the coilpack, also yeah it is throwing a rich exhaust code, if i remember its code 45, and i have reset the commputer many times, what does the DFI mofule take signals from? cas, what else or does it just go back to the ECU?
thanks everyone for helping me,

also, can i turn the coil pack around? swap the wires around?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
The core pack fires both sides at the same time I think. To help burn fuel on the waste cycle. So it's not the core pak. code 45 rich - eg not good spark = unburnt fuel.

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
what im saying is it fires constantly on the 426 side of the core pack, and on the 153 side of the pack it is not constant, fires every now and then, but yeah i think if i sort out the miss firing issue i will fix me code,
cheers, nick

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok if its running rich.. getting fuel. the code is no real help but to say its getting fuel. So the injectors are not the issue. If a 2nd core pac does the same thing. Can't be that. Dont know what else delivers spark to the engine other than the leads (all 3 leads doing the same thing is unlikely) and the injector wires.

Could be the injector electrics. Sorry I'm out of help.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
plugs?????????

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
plugs new, leads new, coil pack new, dif module new, cas new, also bought secondhand coil pack, dfi module, cas and all do the same thing,
where does the dfi module take signals from?
got me bugger, but will have a real hard look on the weekend,
thanks for everyones help

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Let us know just in case it happens to us....