Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missfire at idle...

Sorak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi all,

I am new to commodores and also to this forum, I am hoping someone can help me with this...

I've just bought a VS, and the engine occasionally faulters when idling at traffic lights, otherwise it runs well...

It has new plugs and I've just replaced the leads. When I recently got the Auto serviced they reported the following codes...

23: Air intake temp voltage high 2/255
75: System voltage high 4/255
76: Short term fuel trim delta high 6/255

Could code 23 or 76 cause this prob?
Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

Paul.

HsvPlayBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Hsv 185i
check the Harmonic Balancer if its cracking then this will cause the missfire and also check things like the Fuel map sensor & the Crank angle & oxy Sensor maybe one of these Things or even a Dirty throttle body Good Luck Man

Sorak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks for your quick reply HsvPlayBoy. I will check these when I have the time. Is there an easy way to check the Harmonic Balancer?

Could the air intake temp sensor also cause a missfire?

Thanks...

protossw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 EXECUTIVE
same problems with my VR,,,

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check that the new leads are pushed properly onto the spark plug caps - sometimes they arent on full and this can cause a miss. The harmonic balancer should not cause a miss....usually its a clunk/bang as it fails. Good luck

Sorak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks, I have checked the leads and they seem fine.

I've also cleaned the throttle body and IAC and have replaced the air intake temp sensor. Last week I started running BP ultimate to hopefully clean the injectors.

Could code 76: short term fuel trim delta be a cause? Maybe the injectors or O2 sensors?

Thanks.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
i found a lot of the time with fuel injection it can be caused by vaccuum leaks- even oil leaks. If this is the case, taking a day to clean the motor down and fix all oil leaks, tighten all hoses etc can help

failing that I use a top fuel additive which cleaned mine right up..

immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
it's a common problem on the ecotec series of engines forthe little purge hose under the TB to come of, this normally presents as a rough idle and excessive fuel usage as your fault codes show. get someone to check the voltage output of the altenator also as you have a high voltage fault code also. once you have done these things have reset the ecu and then se if the fault codes return, good luck.

V

VS Roy

I Think this problem is very common in the V6s especially because Beuik origonally desighned this engine to be a 5.0 V8 and they choped the rear 2 cylinders off to make it a 6. This meant that it would produce a macive vibration because the angle of the block was set up for a V8 and not a 6. To stop this vibration GMH bored a hole at the top of the camshaft and fitted a balance shaft, they also used oil filled engine mounts to help adsorb the shock. There are ways to help reduce this miss but it can never be compleatly eradicated.
I would be putting in MSD blasted coils to give it a stronger spark, Take the injectors out to get them cleaned by a ultrasonic cleaner and replacing the leads and plugs. Also go through the computer and fix all fault coads.

Last edited by a moderator: