Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing on one cylinder

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
have you ran any more tests per members posts, if so, what else have you tested, and did it or didnt it work?

just so we can start narrowing down all the possible options

ozfreerider1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
Ok first thing I did was checked plugs, No 4 was fuel wet, Changed all plugs, still the same, changed the coil pack, it started to fire fine for a while then I tried the next morning, It started fine for a couple minutes then lost a spark again, Spark would come and go depending on revs (5spd man), Changed injectors (all parts new) Started and still no spark, took for a drive and changed to gas I took it for a drive and switched to gas after about 2 ks on petrol and after 1 k it fired on all cylinders and so far still going fine, Ill change back to petrol in a couple days and see what happens. Can anybody explain why thanx, ps It was the same cylinder all the time. Finally next day on gas and fuel it went back to fire , no fire ,Im gonna check the plugs again

ozfreerider1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
Ive been told it wont be the oxy sensor by a few people but i did read where one bloke on here said he's was similar and was oxy, So Ive spent abit so far, so I thought I'd sus it out abit more before spending more cash.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
so lets see here
if you clear codes and drive codes come back?
" 13, 16 so Im checking out the 02 sender, and temp sender "
with these codes replace o2 sensor/s, they have a lifespan about 160,000kms heated type, 80,000kms two wire type (non heated)
they get clogged up and read wrong normally causing multiple cylinder problems as air/fuel mix then incorrect
this o2 code can be set by old sensors soem people will lightly sand the outer face of sender to get another couple of months out of em (not recomended)

temp sender code can be same
-old senser; or loose terminals on plug at sender; or dodgy sender...
unplugging it when fault starts happening (with engine running ) can eliminate temp sender
-unplug (temp sender) when its misfiring at idle if miss goes away (miss because of this would resemble only a rough idle not complete misfire)
then its an incorrect siganl from temp sender~!

when you drove it misfiring on petrol... you changed to gas
then after awhile (2kms) it came good? this would indicate either a problem with fouling of spark plugs
is either mixture of fuel wrong (would affect multiple cylinders)
OR spark plug gap size(reduce gap to 1.0mm and retry) ; or plugs heat range/condition(check plugs suit lpg heat range AND petrol) ; petrol injector sticking open after firing (causing wet plugs after sitting a while hard start is indication of leaky injector; you may also get some smoke on start up after sitting a long time)

so replace plug and recon injectors is my bet (petrol injectors that is)

ozfreerider1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
Is there any trick to remove o2 sensor, Ive sprayed and busted 2 spanners thanx

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Remove them while they are hot.They come undone easier.

ozfreerider1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
I changed o2 sensor, Went good for a few ks then started to miss, also sometimes its worse, I did compression test on No 2 and 4 75lb and 125 lb then ran out of time.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
75 psi is way below the minimum compression pressure.The minimum recommended pressure is about 100 psi or 689 kPa.Id retest the whole engine as soon as you can,and then compare the readings,if they show up under the 100 psi mark again,then squirt some oil into the spark plug hole of the offending cylinder,then turn the engine over by hand a couple of times to distribute the oil around inside the cylinder,then redo the compresion test,if the compression is now reading higher,the rings are worn,and most likely everything else too.If theres no change at all.Its either a leaking head gasket,or a leaking valve.

ozfreerider1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
Ill give it ago tomz, and see how i go thanx, I got 4 cars here and none of them going, 2011 sucks so far, CF Bed, need 2 tyres and exhaust leak fixed for a certificate (need $$ Hobby) Barina Daughters car, I think fuel pump (Its stuck down the street, I cant toe it with my car) The spare VR looks like the stater motor just gone, Typiacal symtons, what a weekend, But the sun will still rise tomz and we soldier on ay!

ozfreerider1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
Finally

If anyones interested I finally got my my car going. End result was fuel filter, I asumed because I was runing gas 99.9% of the time it wouldn’t be a fuel filter, I found this out by putting the car in for a machanic to look at and 7 hrs later he said Id crossed 2 leads, $88 with tune (This bloke seems pretty good 3rd time Ive dealt with him Nth Geelong), I had checked and double checked my leads that many times I must have swapped them on the weekend by mistake,, But the car was going great on gas for about 6 ks then I put it on petrol to check and after a k back to the same problem, So my first thought was dirty fuel and after changing the fuel fiter and a good 30 min drive it goes great, It did take about 20 mins runing @ 100 ks going through the gears twice on petrol to fully run without any blockage, Well I learnt something witch I read so many times on this site CHANGE YOUR DAM FUEL FILTER.