Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing, the saga continues.

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R S3 , VF Commodore Wagon SS S1
I've been using new stock Delco plugs/leads since the headers-exhaust-tune, were done!
NGK tr6 plugs were recommended but through my ignorance I tolerated the stock plugs.
It would seem there were always miss fires present, perhaps only partials if there was such a thing but it was there on several cylinders.
Anyhoo, I finally bought new leads/plugs (in case other leads were damaged during headers install, to eliminate this as a potential problem).
During the process of gapping the plugs (NGK copper tr6) I managed to drop one, it landed electrode first as expected and altered the gap, as I didn't have a spare I re-gapped and used it, I installed in cylinder #3 being that it was the easiest to access, I went for a drive and monitored it and lo and behold it's rooted, moral of the story, don't re-use if in doubt!
New plug going in tomorrow, log file attached!
Screenshot_20220505-202944_Gmail.jpg

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
I've been using new stock Delco plugs/leads since the headers-exhaust-tune, were done!
NGK tr6 plugs were recommended but through my ignorance I tolerated the stock plugs.
It would seem there were always miss fires present, perhaps only partials if there was such a thing but it was there on several cylinders.
Anyhoo, I finally bought new leads/plugs (in case other leads were damaged during headers install, to eliminate this as a potential problem).
During the process of gapping the plugs (NGK copper tr6) I managed to drop one, it landed electrode first as expected and altered the gap, as I didn't have a spare I re-gapped and used it, I installed in cylinder #3 being that it was the easiest to access, I went for a drive and monitored it and lo and behold it's rooted, moral of the story, don't re-use if in doubt!
New plug going in tomorrow, log file attached!View attachment 237246
Mate they were going to change the plugs in ours at 100,000, as it's an a.f.m. engine, even though it's only done 85,000 l thought that l would save a few $ and do it myself. As they looked like they had another 85,000 in them, l gapped them back to 1mm and put them back in. Now you're not meant to regap them and I don't know why, all l know is that ours is going as good as ever.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Mate they were going to change the plugs in ours at 100,000, as it's an a.f.m. engine, even though it's only done 85,000 l thought that l would save a few $ and do it myself. As they looked like they had another 85,000 in them, l gapped them back to 1mm and put them back in. Now you're not meant to regap them and I don't know why, all l know is that ours is going as good as ever.
It’s because some people do some stupid things and have some less than ideal methods for regapping a spark plug.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Quote from NGK
"When adjusting the electrode gap, the gap may commonly be made too small, as such, the gap may need to be opened slightly. Typically some customers use a lever such as a flat screwdriver to pry open the gap. Traditional Nickel plugs have a solid piece Ø2.5mm centre electrode that may withstand such force. Precious metal spark plugs however have Ø0.6mm fine tips that are laser welded to the centre electrode. These tips are very fragile and not designed to withstand any force. As such NGK will not provide warranty for the breakage of precious metal centre electrode tips."

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just be really careful gapping Iridium plugs, so easy to damage the center electrode.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
New plug going in tomorrow, log file attached!View attachment 237246
Soooo did the misfire get resolved?
Thanks.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Yes it has been resolved, so much more power as a by product of going to copper core plugs also.
Win win.
Ta for the resolution. And that's a great result, especially with a plug more tolerant to my rough handling as well as far cheaper.
Just have to change them out much more often - so the total cost is probably actually more.
I've learnt to just change plugs out rather than frig around with gaps, especially with the precious metal electrodes.

I reckon you'll get a nice fat spark off the copper plugs until they burn away.

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R S3 , VF Commodore Wagon SS S1
Ta for the resolution. And that's a great result, especially with a plug more tolerant to my rough handling as well as far cheaper.
Just have to change them out much more often - so the total cost is probably actually more.
I've learnt to just change plugs out rather than frig around with gaps, especially with the precious metal electrodes.

I reckon you'll get a nice fat spark off the copper plugs until they burn away.
Sounds good on all fronts I feel, yes very happy with the results. From what I can gather these plugs are good for 30k km's anyways, time will tell.