Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing/Timing problem WH Statesman

conromia

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Hey guys,

I have a 99 WH Statesman.
Lately it's been missing and/or the engine has been jolting a little bit randomly. Hot or cold. Never stalled.
Don't notice it really at 100kph. But notice it a lot when you just touch the accelerator.
Sometimes I can get a whole day without any problems at all.
I've replaced the spark plugs and leads, all coil packs and DFI module. When I replaced the coils it helped dull it down a bit.
I've bought a CAS but was told its unlikely the problem.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would have said leads first, but you have already done them. Double check your spark plugs, it's not uncommon to crack one when putting them back in so you think you have eliminated the initial problem but you really haven't.

Give the throttle body a good clean too.

D

devilly

get some carby and throttle body cleaner and also maf cleaner.maybe a vacuum leak from the hoses that connect to bottom of carby. or the iac= idle air control, needs cleaning and new engine oil on the o'ring.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
get some carby and throttle body cleaner and also maf cleaner.maybe a vacuum leak from the hoses that connect to bottom of carby. or the iac= idle air control, needs cleaning and new engine oil on the o'ring.

WH....EFI.....no carby.

conromia

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Thanks guys, ill give the throttle body a good clean and check out those spark plugs again. Ill check for leaks in the hoses too.
Any sensors I should check at all? or just flat out replace?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sensors won't cause your issue, I doubt it would be any of those.

D

devilly

WH....EFI.....no carby.

oh well :) throttle body then :) carby just proves i've been around cars a while :)

also with engine running check egr value for leaks, by just putting moving your hand around it,brand new gaskets is only $3-5 from holden's:)

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Check/swap out the coil packs with some good ones or borrow some known-to-be-good coilpacks. I would bet that's what's going on.

Also, invest in a cheap code scanning tool or take the car to someone who has the ability to scan error codes. This will stop you throwing random parts at the car and guessing. If its missing and carrying on, there will be a logged error code telling you exactly where to look.

conromia

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Check/swap out the coil packs with some good ones or borrow some known-to-be-good coilpacks. I would bet that's what's going on.

Also, invest in a cheap code scanning tool or take the car to someone who has the ability to scan error codes. This will stop you throwing random parts at the car and guessing. If its missing and carrying on, there will be a logged error code telling you exactly where to look.

Hi thanks for your help.
I've already bought and replaced the dfi and coil packs and spark plugs.
I'll see if I can get someone to look at the codes for me. But I have never seen the engine light on after the car has been started.
There is a sensor opposite the throttle position sensor. Could that be the problem? I've unplugged it while the engine was running and nothing changed.