Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing under load, rough idle after repairs.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Sorry, not familiar with the acronym iac? I did give the throttle body a clean when I had it off. I'll clean the connectors when I go to bolt the coils back on.

I gave the car a quick check this morning just while parked and it seemed better. I'm leaning towards water slowly drying atm. But will run through all the suggestions. Thanks.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Did you remove the IAC (idle air control valve) when cleaning the TB. The little pin hole may be blocked due the clean.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
I hadn't cleaned that, no. I'll check it out. I just did the multimeter tests on the coil. The paperclip one came up good.

But the second test where you test between the plug contacts was a fail on one coil. Got no reading whatsoever. Could this be the issue and how would it all of a sudden given up? Water ruining it? It did have a slight rough idle before the work, but nothing major. Just unsure if this was the cause of the prior rough idle and I'm still looking for another problem for the new issue.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Little update. Took the car for a small drive and it seems to be behaving as before. I guess the original rough idle might be due to the coil pack?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Next time you pressure wash make sure you cover up the TPS with rag. They don't like getting wet and can give similar symptoms to those you experienced.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Didn't use a pressure washer thank god. But I'll take better care and try and keep it contained to the block next time. Cheers for the tip.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Could be the egr valve solenoid they just like the iac both can cause bad idle. But first get the coil or dfi sorted out all 3 should be doing the same, to test the dfi isn't the issue swap the coil over with the working one if same result the dfi, if not get a coil.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Remove and clean iac and its housing, make sure the passage (hole) is clean and unblocked.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Egr definitely isn't the issue. Was disconnected when I bought it as it was buggered. Will get around to that eventually. I'll get to cleaning and testing and if it's all good report back to finish off the thread.

Appreciate the tips for narrowing it down.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Was disconnected when I bought it as it was buggered
So your saying you haven't got it fitted? Or its just unplugged? If unplugged and you never blocked the ports then how do you know if it was closed or open which could cause your idle problem and which will give you poor performance and increase your fuel consumption.