Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing under load, rough idle after repairs.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Nah, just unplugged. I didn't think about it affecting the idle. When I do plug it in and try to drive from cold it splutters and carries on until the revs get up high enough. Not sure if that indicates it being stuck open or closed. Is it possible to get the things working again without buying a new one? Bit of WD40?

henstepper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore Executive s2
your rough idle is coming from either a bad fuel pump/clogged line, or your alternator is on the way out. I had the same issues for about 6 months before alternator died. once replaced no rough idle issues

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Do you know what the output readings on your alternator was?

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Wait ddnt you already go through this whole alternator thing on another thread might be time to bight the bullet and take it to a mechanic might be cheaper

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Unsure if others covered this but there is a short length of vacuum line that is hard to see. I'm going from memory but it runs from the front(?) somewhere to a port hidden at the rear underside of the intake manifold. It can drop off of its own accord with age, plus if removed during a maintenance task its easy to forget to reconnect it. Other than that, I've given my old Ecotec many wash downs and nver had issues with things needing to dry out. Obviously best practice is to cover all electrics before cleaning. Check for codes and check for vac leaks.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Unsure if others covered this but there is a short length of vacuum line that is hard to see. I'm going from memory but it runs from the front(?) somewhere to a port hidden at the rear underside of the intake manifold. It can drop off of its own accord with age, plus if removed during a maintenance task its easy to forget to reconnect it. Other than that, I've given my old Ecotec many wash downs and nver had issues with things needing to dry out. Obviously best practice is to cover all electrics before cleaning. Check for codes and check for vac leaks.
It goes from under the throttle body to a l shaped rubber port at the rear left side of engine and its realy hard to see and and harder to put in got a lot of cables in the way your left facing the engine that is

Last edited:

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Ah yep, that's the one. It fell off my old VY years ago and took me a little while to find. Pretty sure these forums led me to it actually! LOL.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Ah yep, that's the one. It fell off my old VY years ago and took me a little while to find. Pretty sure these forums led me to it actually! LOL.
Me to i dislodged mine taking throttle body off to change the rocker gasket

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
The rough idle and acceleration was definitely something that got wet. There's been a few threads about it here. This is just the original much less intense rough idle that I bought it with. I mean, it idles fine, its just not smooth. Take off and driving is what you would call perfect.

I know the hose you're talking about. Had the issue on the first start attempt and went straight for that one. I don't think it's the alternator. I'm getting decent voltage and not having the issue from back in the other thread.

I think the coil pack is the most likely issue along with making sure the throttle body etc is definitely clean and clear. If no benefit from those, then I'll look at other items.