Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing under load, rough idle after repairs.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Theres a way of testing the coils but i dont dont its 100 percent theres also that card the coils sit on forget its name guy in another thread had problems with it but his car wouldnt start

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If your evap is open then it will make it run rough as and give you bad take off, it changers all your fuel mixtures I would suggest buying a new one or get a working second hand one, for the mean time remove it and get a soft drink can cut it so it flat then cut the same shape of the housing, then cut off the 2 bolt hole ears place it on top and bolt it back down that will take care of the extra air flow mucking up your fuel mixture.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have you swapped the coil that wasn't arcing across to one that was to see if its not the dfi plate? I say get that sorted first.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Haven't tested whether it's the dfi. Will do that tomorrow. Won't be able to get parts til next week. But I'll block off the egr to see how much that helps. And report back next week if the issue is resolved by the few suggestions.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Rough idle, well you have had water already why not try the rest, that leaves air/fuel and electrical, get the simple things of air and fuel sorted first and leave the expensive electrical last.
Check/replace vac lines, check intake manifold gaskets, replace fuel filter probably gunked up and hasn't been done in car life. Simple electrical is to change spark plugs and do leads. If rough idle still then maybe time to bite the bullet for a electrical check by a qualified electrician

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
did you sort the coil? the joys of fixing shitboxes with multiply problems 3 new coils plugs and leads are out of the question? with a check of the dfi plate while the coils are out if you going 2nd hand the wrecker usually charges around $50 for a 2nd hand dfi with coils. Some people come in with a missing v6 we change just the rooted coil they always come back with in a a couple of months.
A fuel filter is the least of the problems at the moment what is an electrical check by a qualified electrician?

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Well I know one coil is rooted though. I don't need to check fuel or air until that's done. I just did the intake manifold. The vaccum lines are fine, they were checked when I did the manifold. Had to replace one. 80 bucks for a coil isn't exactly an expensive item when it's one that definitely needs to be done. If I take it to a sparky after doing the fuel filter, they're just going to tell me what I already know... A buggered coil pack. I'll be getting it sorted early next week.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Well I know one coil is rooted though. I don't need to check fuel or air until that's done. I just did the intake manifold. The vaccum lines are fine, they were checked when I did the manifold. Had to replace one. 80 bucks for a coil isn't exactly an expensive item when it's one that definitely needs to be done. If I take it to a sparky after doing the fuel filter, they're just going to tell me what I already know... A buggered coil pack. I'll be getting it sorted early next week.
When these coil pack stuff up, my experience is they end up stuffing up the dfi.
I was buying new coil packs & dfi sets for a few years. I think l went through 4 sets in 3 or 4 years (the wiring to the dfi plug was shorting out the dfi & coils).
Replaced the wiring to the dfi plug. Only use dfi & coil packs from the wreckers now. $50.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
The wiring TO the dfi plug (inside the dfi) or the dfi plug TO the dfi (on the wiring loom side) ? The way I'm getting a good test on the coil but not when the coil is plugged into the dfi is suggesting its the dfi itself. Have to do a test on that later today.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Little update. I got hold of a secondhand dfi and coils. I only changed the coil that didn't give correct readings on the multimeter. There was no change in the idle. I cleaned the maf, air temp and icv. No change.

The new coil has a much lower resistance when checking from lead point to lead point. Should I just switch out all of them? Will the difference in resistance make a difference?

I tested the leads and they came up good, but might just get new ones to be sure and cross that off the list.

I'll also go around the intake with start ya bastard to double check for vacuum leaks. Any other ideas for things I should check or do let me know.

Cheers.