Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mission Impossible Steering Columm

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
The only thing I've neva replaced on my Calais is the steering columm Shaft bearings.Every nut & bolt I've undone but that & it's a total pr.ck to get the shaft off.I'm gunna put sum new rack ends so the Rack's coming off agen, no problem.The shaft howeva has me shafted.I've loosened it all, sprayed it with WD but it's bloody welded on.I'll have to disconnect the Steering at the intermediate shaft & pull it up thru.Very untidy looking atm...:cry:

Attachments

• Calais Steering Columm (Wide Shot).JPG
    Calais Steering Columm (Wide Shot).JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 297
  • Calais Steering Columm(Bottom).JPG
    Calais Steering Columm(Bottom).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 245

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
As far as i knew (and read in the gregory's manual) its got 3 screws toward the front and 3 screws toward the rear holding it in (if i remember correctly)

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Maybe who ever had the car befoe welded it on?

I've had to weld my plunger to my throttle body as its warp'd abit, but my point is it might be welded for a reason.

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Mission possible now.!!!

Lol, just about felt like it was welded on.Got it off.Stupid me, I had undone but not compleletely removed the lower shaft bolt shackle.Father in Law comes down & we study the problem with my stuck shaft & a spare I have here compltete.The lower shaft has a cam on it to prevent it coming off compleletely, while I had undone it but didn't continue the simple task of removing it complelety.So after we noticed how it was still jammed I just undone the bolt & withdrew it from the shaft & it slides str8 out.A bit thanks to the Father In Law as he has helpled me rebuild the entire car ova the yrs...:thumbsup:
P.S..hope the pics & my sketchy explanation hepls sumbody else in the future.Now where's those bearings...???

Attachments

• Steering Shaft(intermed End).JPG
    Steering Shaft(intermed End).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 277
  • Intermediate Shaft.JPG
    Intermediate Shaft.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 445
  • Steering Shafts with Cambolt istalled.JPG
    Steering Shafts with Cambolt istalled.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 267