Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mixing 10 inch and 12 inch subs?

S

Stubby

I was just wondering if mixing one 12 inch sub already in a box with 2 different brand 10 inch subs in another box is a good idea? This may be a stupid question but will they bounce out of sync with each other and stuff up the bass? The setup will be 1 amp for each lot of subs. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Not a wise idea. You will end up with flat spots when they get of phase with each other and hot spots when they reach close to resonant freq.

Can be done with multiple crossovers though. In general....not worth it.

troyjm310

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Sportwagon SV6 Z Series
just depending how much u like quality ;)

i seen this thread on the front page .. at first i thought u were talking about mixing 10" :S and 12" vinyl records hehe
:whistling

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
12" sub best for bass

Run ur single 12" not a 10inch and a 12". :whistling . I recond 12" are the best for bass, 15" are good but alot slower. Most people think 12" crank well but 10" can get good for dance. Get rid off the 10" and ur quality and sound would be alot better! :king: What brand are ur subs?

Rmyers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EA falcon
Mixing and matching different subs, especially different sizes, is not the best idea. Different weight cones will travel at different speeds and as trunkrattler described, it's an absolute bastard to tune properly as they will be out of phase, causing flat spots. Mixing different brand subs isn't great either as two different subs can behave differently at any given frequency and can cause similar effects as using different sizes.