Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mixture and idle

brettyb2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk executive 1985
hey all my old commy's runnin to rich , and need to re-adjust my mixture , if anyone could please tell me the best most effective way of gettin the mixture correct that would be great ! and also i dont like to mess around with carbies , and i cant remember which was mixture and which was idle , was it the top screw for mixture or the bottom one ? 0.o its the old varijet carbie

cheers
Bretto

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
k, wind the mixture screw all the way in till the engine starts dying, then count the turns as u wind it out till the engine starts dying. Divide that number by two and thats the number of turns u need to wind it back in again.

PS the motor needs to b running.

brettyb2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk executive 1985
dolphin14 said:
k, wind the mixture screw all the way in till the engine starts dying, then count the turns as u wind it out till the engine starts dying. Divide that number by two and thats the number of turns u need to wind it back in again.

PS the motor needs to b running.

Thanks dolphin , u cant tell me if the mixture screw is the one on the rocker cover side down the very bottom ?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
This setting worked for me which u could try for the mixer screw, 2.5 .. tuen all the way in then back 2 turns and a half.

The idle i wouldnt know as ive installed headers on mine and had to adjust the timing abit.

Overall im thinking VC commodore which has a blue motor, your's is probley black sothe mixture setting might be a bit different?

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
brettyb2002 said:
Thanks dolphin , u cant tell me if the mixture screw is the one on the rocker cover side down the very bottom ?

regardless of the motor, my info was for a varajet 2 carby, which was exactly where u have just described. I know its a PAIN IN THE ARSE of a place. i found i could do a good job with a pair of long nosed pliers