Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mixture settings on a varajet

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Hi guys,

I would just like some advice on setting the idle mixture setting on a varajet.
Before you ask, it is because the carb has been overhauled and the mixture setting is out of wack.
So, what is a good accurate way to do this and how do the pros usually do this.
Also, does any know how to adjust the adjustment screw that screws into the throttle body and keeps the main butterfly slightly open. I think it may called the idle stop screw and I can't find any information on adjusting this. This is out of whack because someone else has played.

Thanks

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
for the initial setting screw the mixture screw all the way in then wind it out 1 1/2 . Start you engine then wind it in till the revs just start to drop then turn it the other way till the revs start to change again ,half way inbetween these to points is about fight . This is a rough guide only .
Will have to check out the inle screw , been a few years since i have played with one

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The idle speed adjustment on a Varajet is the larger screw in the side of the carby on the front driver's side.

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Thanks Dayvo
I know that you can get the varajet carbs idling incredibly smooth. I know because mine used to be like that. The problem is, is that then I had a mechanic guy who doesn't know much about these carbs play around with it when he shouldn't have.

I shall explain:
My varajet has a mixture screw on the throttle body for the idle mixture.
It has an MIXTURE BYPASS screw for the idle speed located on the main body above the mixture screw.
It also has what Gregories call an IDLE STOP screw which is located on the throttle body at the back of the carb.
Please see pictures attached to understand what I mean.

The IDLE STOP screw cracks the accelerator butterfly open slightly and the adjustment will affect the idle mixture and idle speed. This is set by the factory and is not to be adjusted.
So if idle mixture needs to be adjusted only the idle mixture screw is adjusted and if idle speed needs to be adjusted then only the MIXTURE BYPASS screw is adjusted.
The problem is, is that people who don't know much about the carb adjust the IDLE STOP screw for the idle speed adjustment and once this is adjusted the engine will never run smooth. I can't find any information for resetting this adjustment because all the books say DON'T adjust it.

If adjusted correctly a varajet will run very smooth and when ever so slightly out, the varajet will run good, but not to its best.

So, is there any books or any other information on setting the adjustments such as the idle stop screw (A dedicated varajet book or something) and does anyone know of any places in Sydney that know heaps about tuning carbs, has the equipment to do it and does a good job.

Attachments

• carbmix.JPG
    carbmix.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 9,691
  • carbffff.JPG
    carbffff.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 9,230
  • carbstop.JPG
    carbstop.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 5,249

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Try checking out the local phone book for carby reconditioners , They should be able to help you out . or find some 50 + year old mechanic from the old school who would know them inside out. ha ha ha .I'll have a dig around and see what i can come up with.
Cheers Dayvo

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Got some more pictures to confuse everyone more.

This is of an old spare I have laying around.

The first picture is of the throttle body showing the IDLE STOP screw.

The second is a side view of the IDLE STOP screw.

The third is a view of the bottom of the IDLE STOP screw showing it pushing against the accelerator lever and keeping the butterfly open slightly. As you can see, this would affect idle mixture and idle speed.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• carb1.JPG
    carb1.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 5,499
  • carb2.JPG
    carb2.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 3,645
  • carb3.JPG
    carb3.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 5,249

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Wish i knew the original setting myself bro, id change mine in a heartbeat :)

But what i do know is, it will changer cars idle in gears, so set it to what the revs should be at tthe gear.. and listen to the sounds of the revs from the engine and exhaust note while tuning.

Take her out of the highway look at the rpm at 100k and see if it needs adjusting.

Ill research around and let ya know if i can find it.

jpetrou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL EFI/ Monaro CV8
In the past I have mucked about with varajet carbies on various different 6cylinder models from 173 to 202 engines on VC/VH/VK models. They all have small quirky variances between each other, but basically the idle screws are the same. I have never adjusted the basic idle screw (thats the one that holds the thottle slightly open). It is set by the factory for emissions. Varajet carbies are designed to idle lean mixtures (for emissions), so they have set this screw in a position to allow more air to flow at idle to retain low fuel to air ratio. I have attached a couple of pages of minor adjustments on varajet carby for VK. This is from the geniune Holden VK Service manual P/N M39101.

Attachments

• Carby 1.jpg
    Carby 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,991
  • Carby 2.jpg
    Carby 2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 6,011
  • Carby 3.jpg
    Carby 3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2,688

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Ive found that one before abba, thought i was in the right spot, though it says allot more on how the carby operates with certain parts and cars etc..

From what i can try and read on thos vk pages jpertrou, i might be wrong cant read it that well but it doesnt look like it has the info either..

I had another search and cant find it, thats why ive gone by what i said above.

But somebody must know!!!