Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MkyHnly's VC SL/E Complete Restoration Project

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 253 Project - BMW 328i Coupe Daily
G'day Guys,

I am only a young guy but have always had an obsession with the early girls. My first car was a very clean VC L with a 202 but, only after 4 months of owning it, it was tragically taken clean out by a garbage truck driver who decided to not look where he was going :(

IMG_0045.jpg

After that my parents decided it was best if I got something a bit larger and a bit 'safer' for a (technically second) car so I bought a VT S Pack and spent a lot of my time and money getting that roadworthy and looking neat.

Well over a year since my VC was taken away from me, I have recently come into a good job and decent money, so I decided to look for another VC to play with. Only then did I realise that these cars seem hard to come by these days, and most of them are getting expensive too.

After weeks of looking and countless k's travelled to view cars, I finally stumbled across this car via Gumtree and brought it home on the weekend.

It is:

1980 VC SL/E
Original 253 Blue V8
3 Speed Trimatic Auto
Dark Blue single colour all over the body​

Everything on this car is 100% stock (except for the tape deck in place of the AM/FM radio). Car comes with all SL/E bits in fantastic condition (including full sized spare SL/E wheel).

My plans for the car include stripping everything down and replacing everything with modern products (new bushes, suspension, brakes), restore and work the motor (just to get a nice exhaust note out of it - not chasing HP), complete respray in the original colour, tinted windows, re-trim interior. Will basically look like a brand new stock car.

I have a set of VR Clubsport wheels that will live on the car while cruising, however will get the SL/E wheels restored and keep them for the stock look.

This will be a huge project, planning on doing majority of it in my garage with my mates, and will share every bit of it on here (so keep a look out).

Heres some pics, enjoy.

e189efcc.jpg

bc147744.jpg

a97d2145.jpg

67a49baa.jpg

17aec512.jpg

d207475f.jpg

032f41ba.jpg

b874098e.jpg

fc5bed79.jpg

73816282.jpg

Last edited:

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
sorry to see the first car go mate but Im glad you got yourself another...keep us all updated on how shes going and send in more pics lol

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
looks like a good project keep the pics coming as you progress ,shame bout the red vc looked to be a nice clean car.

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
after two weeks, have a bit of an update:

cleaned up the car a bit and put the VR 17inch Clubsport wheels on it. looks a bit neater than the original SLE wheels, although i am keeping them and getting them fixed up to keep the original look.

8feafccf.jpg

What do you guys think? It sits like a monster truck at the moment haha

I also have some new springs (King Super Lows for the front and King Ultra Lows for the rear) which will go in next weekend when the shocks arrive. Looking at getting Monroe GT Sport shocks, any thoughts?

And yeah it was a real shame when that car went, I don't think I would find another car quite like it. The previous owner was distraught when they heard the news, thats how much it had been looked after.

Any ideas or comments?

Cheers guys

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
its funny, these wheels get mixed opinions, some love it and some just plain hate them. i had a similar set on my red one... i love the dish that the rims have, if you look down the side of the car from the back i reckon it makes these early girls look tough. once its a bit lowered, i may change my mind and get something else, or even put the originals back on, but for now, love these VRs :)

cheers

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
It will be a nice car once finished, i like the look of the VR clubby wheels was considering them for my vk, good to get a complete one too.

I remember the thread on the original red one, such a shame to see such a well looked after commodore written off but thats life.
Keep the updates coming!

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
It will be a nice car once finished, i like the look of the VR clubby wheels was considering them for my vk, good to get a complete one too.

I remember the thread on the original red one, such a shame to see such a well looked after commodore written off but thats life.
Keep the updates coming!

Thanks mate, it was a very sad day for a lot of people when the red one went :( ah well, got a new toy. And the updates will keep coming! Unfortunately not a lot of work will be done to it during the week due to lack of sunlight, but hoping to put these shockers in it on the weekend as well as the springs:

MONROE GT LOWERED F&R SHOCKS VC VB VH HOLDEN COMMODORE | eBay

Have people had any experience with them and are they good?

Cheers

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

yeah me too :( sad day.

and yeah OP, i have monroe GT's on mine. mine are the shortened shocks to suit lowered springs. havnt had a problem with them, but i have to say the rebound is pretty loose. was hoping for something a little bit stiffer for mine, but nevertheless they still do the job.