Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mod Plate/Engineer Cert

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Thanks guys, you can see why im asking now.
The boys had a few beers and debating the same thing you guys are last night.
We didn't get an answer due to the beer talking in the end lol hence why i asked here.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Yeah, the wording should read "If the vehicle was available new with that option", that would remove all the ambiguity.

I would say you could approach an engineer and ask but if it's been a slow week then he or she might tell you that you need one whether you actually do or not? o_O

BTW, you forgot that "model" can also refer to the year of production, some might argue that a 1995 model is different to a 1997 model because the lineup changed, even though both are technically still a VS Commodore.

Andrew

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Would think that while the l67 was available in the vs , don't know of any utes with one = ( still a work vehicle/ povo pack),standard = option.

So guessing, strictly speaking, yes a certificate.

Would think if you have it fairly standard/ factory looking wouldn't be a problem, just hassle/ time/ money.

They were pretty much still viewed as work vehicles then.
It was only in that period, around 2000 / 2002 that Holden cottoned on to utes = young blokes = a version of a sports car.
The trial was the late vs ss utes( collectors now = maybe).

Even the early maloo's did not get the same standard equipment as a clubsport.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Supercharged engines in VS were only ever available in Series II Calais, Statesman and Caprice. If you go back to that wiki page it even actually states that they were only available in certain trim levels, so that's somewhat accurate without being definitive.

GMH never released L67 in a ute until VT. Like everything, Holden always released major upgrades into the top level cars of one model and then in the next model would make it available across the range of all trim levels.

I feel personally that it's very much going to be how smart the person is you are going to be dealing with and also how knowledgeable they actually are about what was in what.
To me basically the cylinder configuration is still the same and the power increase isn't all that much more so it should slide through, but that's just my take on it. If we are going to be that picky then it should go back for certification if you just change the SC front pulley as that changes the characteristics of the engine.

The things that will give it away, is firstly the engine number and then the engine code on the build plate. LG2 versus L67

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Been searching the internet and have seen posts where RMS/RTA will approve it without modification but they seem to have issues with Inspection Stations passing it.

Found this in a link provided in a previous posts
Item
Modification
1 An engine that is not of an original family of engine for the series of models, or any engine more than 20% larger than the largest original optional engine for that series.

Examples requiring certification: •Replacement of 2.0 litre Honda engine with 2.0 litre Mitsubishi engine.•Replacement of 2.0 litre engine with an engine capacity greater than 2.4 litres.Example not requiring certification: •Replacement of a 2.0 litre engine with an engine of 2.4 litres capacity or less andfrom the same vehicle series

So my understanding is it is from the same series VS and engine is 3.8 to 3.8

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The vs series came with the l67 and no structural mods or aftermarket conversion components are needed.

Plenty of l67 vs utes getting around. My vs was a 6 and I converted to an 8. Same with my HJ. No issues at all.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
this is nsw remember ron burgundy thread about fitting brembos to his vf series 2 it had to be engineered the cost was to much so he abandon the idea
blue slips the car has to be as it came from the factory even my ute would not pass with the headers , sports exaust and brake upgade

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
this is nsw remember ron burgundy thread about fitting brembos to his vf series 2 it had to be engineered the cost was to much so he abandon the idea
blue slips the car has to be as it came from the factory even my ute would not pass with the headers , sports exaust and brake upgade
It all depends on who’s testing and how the rules are interpreted. It’s not clear cut.