Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mod Plate/Engineer Cert

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hi guys im having a debate with someone about whether i would need an Engineers Certificate in NSW for a motor to be changed.

I have a VS 1998 Ute which had a Eco V6
I have put a L67 V6 Motor into it now and will be registering it in NSW
This will be new rego so all number will be recorded in the RWC/Pink Slip

I can't see how i would need a Mod Plate or Engineers Cert but i hope someone else can clear this up, thank.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Technically, if that engine wasn't available as an option from the factory for your particular vehicle when new, then yes, you need an engineer's certificate.

If you were able to simply fit the supercharger to your original block then I would say you *might* get away with the 15% rule...

NSW--LVCOP-Owner-Certified-Engine-Replacement.jpg

...but that's not the case here anyway.

If it was just a later model NA V6 you might be able to slip it through but I think someone might notice the SC!

Andrew

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Was the super6 released in vs if not you might need an engineers if it was a factory option you shouldn't, we put a super 6 in a vt and just roadworthy it and got it registered at the time. Ask the bloke your going to take it to for an inspection before you take it? Or just take it if it looks factory enough it'll probably pass

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The wording is too vague, like is it specific model of vehicle, the vehicle itself, also says OEM option but in the same vague context. Just change the engine number against the car, take it over the pits and see what happens. The QLD style mod plates don't exist in NSW either.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Was the super6 released in vs ~
As far as I know the L67 was only available in VT, VX & VY Commodore, WH Statesperson, and V2 Monaro.

You could just try your luck with getting a blue slip, but even if it passes you have to consider that you may have an insurance claim denied at a later date because the vehicle wasn't legal?

Andrew

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
VS Sedan came out with an L67

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
vs did come with L67 option. See wiki page. In 1996 when VT production started they then offered the motor in the vs's as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore_(VS)
Great find.
Going by that OP should be okay without cert as long as numbers are updated and it should pass as 'owner certified' as long as he fits other associated items from vs L67 models.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Technically, if that engine wasn't available as an option from the factory for your particular vehicle when new, then yes, you need an engineer's certificate.
...but that's not the case here anyway.

Is it not standard or modified though? The problem is that the wording around it is too vague, make and model are never actually defined in the document they have. Depending on who reads the legislation it might be a factory swap, or it might not be. They're all "factory" components of the original engine family, the same vehicle series, the manufacturer offers this engine in another variant of the same make or model (which one then?). Particularly this one - "Fitting a turbocharger/supercharger to any vehicle of a make and model not offered with a turbocharger/supercharger by the manufacturer." - well, which one is it? Make or model, and what do they mean by make or model? The make was offered with the supercharger, but the model - does that mean all VS Commodores or just the ute? Is the make the VS series or all Commodores or do they mean Holden? If they mean Holden that means you could strap an M90 to a Barina and get away with it. Same deal with a 202 or a 5L if they mean Commodores (and then at the least the VS ute). If they mean VS then he's set. Depending on your perspective the wording could be pretty "flexible".

Last edited: