Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modding suggestions for 2015 VF series 2 Calais 3.6ltr V6 MY15

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF series 2 Calais MY15 3.6ltr v6 LFX
Hi and thank you for all your hard work and diligence!

l just bought a 2015 VF series2 Calais sedan 3.6ltr V6 MY15 with 130k on the clock...

I would like to spend a little on modifications as a treat...

I don’t drive very much, I’m not a street or track racer... I just want to improve the cars burble...

I am inMelbourne’s South East suburbs.

I’m thinking of getting an otr, exhaust upgrade that doesn’t sound tinny, and a dyno tune done with a budget of around 5k... and a shop around here to do the work.

the exhaust can’t be too loud because of neighbours.... I would ideally love as close to a deep v8 burble as I can get without any tinnyness or crackling or popping.... it’s the deep growl burble I’m after.

l would appreciate any advice at all and especially a shop to do all the work at once. And I’d love any videos I could listen to to get a feel for the different exhaust rumbles available for my particular ride... and any suggestions about upgrade packages for my ride that are worth considering would be awesome....

I’m new here and this is my first post.... be kind! I don’t want to bog everyone down in debate, just looking for guidance!

Thank you all in advance!

Stan

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Leave it as is.
Don’t waste you money.
Enjoy and service it regularly and properly for a long life.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I have no technical input sorry ... the biggest thing I'd say is not to buy anything which you can't try-out before forking over the money.

You won't know how droney or loud the exhaust will be until you hear it, and try driving at a constant speed with it for a short while.
You won't know what performance increase you'll get until you've felt it.
You don't want to spend money & make the car less enjoyable to drive!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Take the rear mufflers off and go for a drive.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Change out all fluids and replace any worn parts (tyres, suspension, bushes etc.). On the performance side, OTR and a custom tune is the max I'd recommend on the LFX. Forget the V8 burble, most exhausts on the V6 sound like someone's farting into a can. Don't waste your money. Then there are quite a few feel good mods (throttle controller, LED upgrades, new rims, spoiler etc.) your could try.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The smart money is on leaving the car alone. Very especially if it is an LFX. This is a dream job, not a hacker's plot.

At 130,000km now and in the future is the time to appreciate and enjoy the car for what it is, not for something it "could be" out of design and safety intents. I wouldn't think a V6 -- and the VF V6 cars have refined engines where quietness is inherent, is going to give much leeway for a loud-and-proud exhaust, reminscent of the screaming, thumping Broady Boys in the 1970s. I've seen enough of these cars with stupid mods to form the opinion that the drivers would be better removed from the road where they align their behaviour with the size and presentation of the ar they drive.

Today, even a gentle burble is enough to rile neighbours (and the police). The Calais will serve you better and longer if you do not follow temptation and modify it just for the added rush of hormones.

A $5K budget!!?
Geez, you could get in some really decent and comfortable travel in that car seeing more of the country.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I reckon go for it mate why not make your car a bit more fun I think your bang on the money with your choice of mods but as you said have to be rather careful about what exhaust system you put on there perhaps something like a manta 2.5 inch quiet system would work well?

GerryM75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Executive Sedan/VF11 Calais V Wagon
Change out all fluids and replace any worn parts (tyres, suspension, bushes etc.). On the performance side, OTR and a custom tune is the max I'd recommend on the LFX. Forget the V8 burble, most exhausts on the V6 sound like someone's farting into a can. Don't waste your money. Then there are quite a few feel good mods (throttle controller, LED upgrades, new rims, spoiler etc.) your could try.

To the OP: as an owner of a '16 S2 Calais I'd completely agree with the above. Leave the exhaust as is, they are a nice quiet car and the only way you'll get a "burble" is by putting a V8 in :)
I have an OTR with a custom tune to suit which costs a bit over $1k, and it improves the power over 3500rpm, provides better economy on the highway and has a nicer throaty intake noise when you plant your foot. There's other engine mods you can do (cams, underdriven pulleys etc) but for the most part the cost of those outweighs the benefits.