Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mode readout LCD Challenge

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
OK so I have a challenge for you all out there. I have an FC Holden that I have painstakingly replaced all the wiring using a VT donor car to supply that plus the engine/gearbox.

My wife said I have to keep the original speedo and I have all the VT Commodore dash buttons mounted in the glove box including power, mode, hazards etc. I'd like to be able to see the information displayed on the LCD at the bottom of the instrument cluster on an individual LCD panel that I can either mount in the glove box too or as a same size LCD panel in the dash under my 55year old speedo.

SO THE CHALLENGE IS: Can anyone tell me how to make an external LCD readout panel to simulate that of the dash? I already have a vss converter electrical to mechanical so my speedo works but would really like all the other info that you can get on the LCD display.

Side note, can anyone tell me what power I can expect with VTII V6 with pacemaker extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust to tip, k&n filter, stage 4 memcal chip?
I figure that with an LSD and a car that weighs 1100kg should go allright....

Thanks in advance

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I've got absolutely nothing to say about your dash problem, but I will say

Build thread
Pics
More info

You just can beat an old Holden

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
it's not that simple, the dash has a logic chip that interprets the signals from the other modules and then displays the information

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
it's not that simple, the dash has a logic chip that interprets the signals from the other modules and then displays the information

I know its not simple, hence the question. I don't know how to reprogram the eeprom on an individual LCD

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've got absolutely nothing to say about your dash problem, but I will say

Build thread
Pics
More info

You just can beat an old Holden
On the down low at the moment but didn't think commodore guys would be into the older models. I haven't started the build thread yet but it will be up in a few months on here Project Cars - Vehicles Under Construction
All white with red flash down the side in '59 colours. Keeping bench seat and original steering wheel and gauges, hence the question re: gauages and LCD panel. VS ute column shift for steering with VH manual steer rack. VN V8 rotors with calipers off VS (same as VN V8 I'm told). HR front end to hold discs, live axle LSD VS diff and VS brakes at the back. Sits on shiny B45 simmons with white wall tyres.
Here it is with the old rims on
6bjqqtj.jpg

But really want to have an external or simulated LCD readout so I still get all the dash info

Last edited:

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
You could always pull apart a VT dash cluster and leave it as a bare circuit board, desolder the LCD screen, buy 2x 20pin ribbon cables and solder one to each pin on the LCD and one to each pin on the cluster board, and run the LCD somewhere else, it's still connected to the VT cluster, but on a long cable. You'd just need to make a enclosure for it and mount a LED or T10 globe behind it to actually see it at night.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Most of us appreciate the older iron too..... I've got an hj. She looks good and will have some balls to match, too bad the 13's won't fit over the brakes :(

I'd get the centers put into 15" rims just so everything looks stock...

It'd be highly amusing to see this with hub caps blow away your average commi!!

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
You could always pull apart a VT dash cluster and leave it as a bare circuit board, desolder the LCD screen, buy 2x 20pin ribbon cables and solder one to each pin on the LCD and one to each pin on the cluster board, and run the LCD somewhere else, it's still connected to the VT cluster, but on a long cable. You'd just need to make a enclosure for it and mount a LED or T10 globe behind it to actually see it at night.
Kinda heading in the right direction but that is definitely above my capability.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini

Solder 2 wat pins on the LCD? they use a rubber press contact, no pins im sure?

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S