Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modern Trans behind 327 Chev

robkerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
If this is in the wrong place apology up front.

My slightly silly but well intentioned brother has embarked on a Torana build, car came with a 327 (reasonably fresh) and cast iron celica 5 speed. I have managed to convince him to ditch the jap box and throw in a slushie, just easier.

My question is: Can a late model auto trans from say VT onwards be converted/wired with the appropriate computer to work behind a non injected/electronic ignition donk. Or do we have to look at the VN V8 era for an appropriate trans.

Thankyou all

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you can get a trans control box from the states i have no idea on cost though the VN-VP box is better anyway

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
probably better fitting a bulit old school auto,

with electric youll need either to have it as an auto manual, ie you have to always change the gear, or to have it working by itself youd have to fit a tps to the throttle body, and other associated electrical bits and pieces

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Why not just put a Turbo 350 in it?? Much better box and no messing around.....Is the engine turbo or trimatic pattern?? That could be a problem.

It would be a turbo pattern.No 327 had a trimatic behind it.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Ahhh, that was a real blonde moment....I was thinking Holden V8 for some stupid unknown reason! Yeh, Turbo 350 for sure then.

Thought is must have been that,i know you know your stuff.:thumbsup: