Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modified Gas V6

VXIIwagdf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Wagon dual fuel
Just had alterations to my dual fuel VXII wagon. Fitted a pair of ceramic coated headers connected to twin cats and then onto holdens standard twin 2 inch system from the V8 which is available fairly cheaply.

Has a nice subtle burbling note. I keep fuel concumption figures on a data base and mostly drive farly quietly so should know whettther there are any significant improvements in fuel consumption.

The whole thing started with trying to get heat out of the head and engine bay mre efficiently and wanting to keep the car for 150.000 km or so.

vxtra

vxtra
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx exec s1
i've got a duel fuel vx exec , had the hm headers n straight thru exhaust put on - noticed a huge difference in performance and exhaust note ;)
i would recommend the FIT heat shielding - keeps the heat away from the air intake - cooler air n all that. and their 81 degree c thermostat.
if ur keen (and not massively cashed up) try cutting the bottom section on the "spout" of your standard air intake, above the radiator.
i did this and noticed a minor improvement in throttle response, which, for free, was nice.
u got any tips for tweekin the duel fuel arrangement?
i would be keen to hear from a fellow duel fueler!

VXIIwagdf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Wagon dual fuel
Dual fuel mods.

Yeah good to hear from another dual fueler. Expect it to become more common now. ($2,000 cash back) Is yours a "factory" set up or after market? Mines factory. Some very significant differences. - can tell you if you don't know.

One tip I recieved from the guys who do the factory conversions in Melb, and who service and maintain them is this. Individually wrap the plug leads - especially those that cross the block - in 6mm conduit. Apparently they rub together in the standard conduit so much that they cause shorting resulting in backfires, even on petrol. It is considerably worse on gas. It took them a while to figure this one out.

I'd like top know more about the "FIT heat shielding - keeps the heat away from the air intake" Never heard of it before. Can you post some pics or is there a website

Whats the gen on the 81 degree c thermostat.?

I talked to the guy who dyno'd mine after the exahust mods, he said he hadn't been able to show any improvements withthe mod you've done to the intake, but then I guess the dyno is not the real world. I might give it a go.Not sure about any real gains in fuel consumption after the mods. Waiting for along trip to make comparo. I've also fitted polyair bags.

Mine's an auto - I've fitted a "shift light" to it. Bit of a misnomer but it's posted on this site.

vxtra

vxtra
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx exec s1
not sure about my system being factory or aftermarket. the place where it was done is the authorized installer for gas systems for the local dealerships, so it could be either. any way i could tell for sure?
for the heat shield, go to www.v6supercharged.com.au or google Forced Inductions Technology (F.I.T) they are the kings when it comes to s/c and ecotec bolt on performance bits. the deets re: 81C thermostat are there as well. i also got the 1:9:1 roller rockers - HUGE improvement.

mine to is auto - whats the go with the "shift Light"?

VXIIwagdf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Wagon dual fuel
Factory system has switchgear that matches the holden stuff. It's fully integrated into the computer, uses the petrol fuel guage not a separate one they change rear springs to cope with increased weight etc. It is so sophisiticated it will actualy fire up the petrol to reduce combustion temparatures and stop valve recession. There is a AAFRB plate on the LH strut tower and just in front of that is a 2 X 4 inch plate stating that this is a holden approved system developed in conjuction with IMPCO.

Thanks for the info in answer to my questions I'll look at the website

Those 1.9:1 roller rockers. Is the huge improvement economy or power or both.

SHIFT LIGHT - part of my previous post :-
Some time ago asked about a "shift light" for my auto VX II Lumina. Have now fitted one.
My prob was that I'm used to a manual, I would change back gears manually (for roundabout or something) then forget to stick it back in "D" since it is so quiet. Hate the extra wear and tear and waste of fuel doing 80 in Melb. in "3".
Have fitted a shift light which flashes automatically if I leave the shift lever in 1,2,3. I've mounted the light on top of the steering column. Total cost about $8
If anyone's interested I can post some pics etc

Easiest way to find it with pics is to do a search on my username to find my posts

Last edited:

vxtra

vxtra
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx exec s1
hmm strange, mine is after market job, done 3 yrs ago (03), but it still uses orig fuel guage 4 the gas. doesnt have flashlube tho - will have to rectify that sooner than later.
the 1:9:1 roller rockers have given the old girl more poke, roughly working out as more power if you want it, and i guess better economy if you dont use it.

i like to use it - hav seen fule econmy drop to about 400k's per tank(petrol) due to my lead foot (used to get 650ks) but a hell of a lot more fun :thumbsup:

VXIIwagdf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Wagon dual fuel
Local engine rebuilder said flashlube is one of the things that keeps him in business. Unless it is callibrated perfectly it apparently causes real problems, resulting in expensive fixes. He reckoned a better investmemnt was having regular tunes to make sure it wanst' running lean. Lean burning on gas is what increases combustion temps and causes valve recession.

VXIIwagdf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Wagon dual fuel
Just finished a fuel consumption comparison. Before the exhaust mods (see above) in mixed driving I got 14.26 lit/100km over a distance of 2500km.

Average for 1800 km of similar driving (and Driver) conditions was 13.26. Exactly 1 litre better to one decimal place!!

Last week towed a 1200kg (braked) trailer 200km around melb. in heavy city traffic. Got 19.5 lit/100km. Great stuff.

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
heya im another proud duel fueller :D mines a factory impco system, so far ive put 2 1/2 zorst system wit HM headers and an SS induction CAI, gives it an awesome exhaust note az well az keepin tha engine heaps cooler, seriously worth a look for an lpg system,

VXIIwagdf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Wagon dual fuel
Whats the difference with the SS CAI I noticed that with the factory gas impsoc system the air cleaner box has to be the smaller one from the previous model (still used for the V8 back then) and it has a CAI that came fro the V8