Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modified Suspension on Hilux what do i do for insurance?

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
i've just purchased a toyota hilux which has modified suspension (2inch lift kit and 31" off road tyres.) Just curious if i have to list this as a modification on my insurance or if i don't will it void my insurance? as i don't really want to list it in case it bumps up the price of my premium

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
i'll be taking out an insurance policy with gio i might add.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
List it, then if anything happens they cant come back at you and void your claim.

Shouldnt be a problem lisitng that either, my mate had no problems insuring his 6inch Lift + 38inch muddies, with a 305 Chevy powered landcruiser lol.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
if you dont want to pay a higher premium then return it to stock.
if you want to throw away money and get told to **** off when you need them the most, then dont tell them about the mods.
Its your choice.

If it isnt engineered it will be void anyway so that should be your first point of call.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i know with nrma, they dont care what you add as modifications, aslong as its not engine/performance modifications, i think money goes up if power is increased

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
i know with nrma, they dont care what you add as modifications, aslong as its not engine/performance modifications, i think money goes up if power is increased

Pretty much like AAMI, that's how they handle theirs as well.

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
haha no ? yeah i guess every insurance company is different but i do plan o listing these mods. but in regards to the engineers cert, i thought it was 3 inch's and over is when a certificate was needed?

deanos70

Reaction score
you wont have any problems with a 0 - 2 inch suspension lift with most insuance policies, as with tryes i cant see 31x10.5x15 being a problem as that is virtually a standard toyota size.

check your tyre placard on the drivers side door frame and see what tyre options the vehicle came out with.

if you had a body lift as well as suspension lift , ball joint spacers , a bigger horse power engine that you havent told them about or not engineered yeh you would definately have an issue with insurance in the event of a claim,

you should be fine with gio but make sure they cover you off road as well,

just make sure you get the suspension lift and tyres if your worried listed on your insurance policy though to cover your back