Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modified thermostat

Vxutehrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v6
Hi guys just removed and replaced my thermostat in vu ute Ecotec and found that someone had modified it so there's no centre or anything in it at all just a thermostat case.
Any ideas why this was done the car wasn't overheating as such just boiling over its overflow and losing a bit of coolant so I just thought replacement of radiator cap and new thermostat with a flush but now I'm suspicious

Vxutehrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v6
I'll post a photo of it but Im worried previous owner has done this to hide something as I got the car almost too cheap

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Removing the guts from thermostats is usually done to alleviate/assist with some form of overheating.

Vxutehrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v6
I've just been for a drive and it sits about 94c unless I thrash it then it goes up to about 110c before fans bring it back to mid 90s is this normal?
No more bubbling from overflow and pressure in hoses is good again

Vxutehrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v6
Something still wrong the car just got to 120c really quick and now the radiator cap is cold to touch but hoses are red hot and pressurized I bled the thermostat from air.
Not sure what's happening it's frustrating me

Vxutehrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v6
I will remove and test thermostat and maybe put this modified one back in but not sure about it will take it to mechanic when I can afford it next week