Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modify Factory Exhaust?

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Hello all,

Has anyone modified their factory exhaust to make more noise by removing the first muffler and replacing with either straight pipe or an X pipe?

I quite like the sound of the videos I've seen of the HSV mid section bolted up to the standard VF2 bi-modals, and from the pics I've seen, apart from the 2.5" piping, the only difference is the X pipe where the first muffler is.

Can't find any videos on YT, only of Chevy SS's doing something similar (remove secondary cats, add X pipe in place). Are the US exhausts the same after the second cats are removed as a basis for sound comparison?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Every modified factory exhaust mod I've heard (muffler deletes for example) sounds like ****. Don't bother.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
For a few hundred bucks, why no go with the HSV mid section? That with the rest stick, on a VF2 sounds quite good as you say. They're 2.5" stainless and mandrel bent. A nice piece of kit for bugger all outlay I reckon.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
For a few hundred bucks, why no go with the HSV mid section? That with the rest stick, on a VF2 sounds quite good as you say. They're 2.5" stainless and mandrel bent. A nice piece of kit for bugger all outlay I reckon.
I have this on my Redline. Sounds Awesome.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
For a few hundred bucks, why no go with the HSV mid section?

Yep, it's an option, shipping would be prohibitive (I'm in WA). If I can find a E series GTS or Gen-F wreck / someone willing to part with their stock exhaust for a reasonable amount then it's the preferred option. Just wanted to see if anyone had just modified the existing 2.25" system to similar effect.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yep, it's an option, shipping would be prohibitive (I'm in WA). If I can find a E series GTS or Gen-F wreck / someone willing to part with their stock exhaust for a reasonable amount then it's the preferred option. Just wanted to see if anyone had just modified the existing 2.25" system to similar effect.
Oh, ok. Yeah, freight may be the kicker to just go non OEM? As you're probably aware, the 2.25" Holden system has flattened pressed sections between the two mufflers. It also has no hotdogs. Versus the HSV 2.5" with no mufflers, no pressed sections and just two hotdogs. So, the (Holden) OEM centre is not the best starting point. Add some large dia' hi-flow cats and this 2.5" centre to Holden bi-modal muffler setup sounds nice and deep. Not tinny or raspy at all. Just as good as an after market system IMO.

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv

18 months ago I purchased a gen f mid section for $250 delivered ($100 transport) from planet parts to Perth. Consider the rear muffler flange as it may not be a direct bolt on depending on your model.

If I were to alter the exhaust again I'd purchase a new quality cat back system. I did need to have most of the joins rewelded due to leaks and wasn't too impressed with the sound. Ended up doing rest of the exhaust in the end.

Wouldn't be very cost effective cutting / adding x pipe / rewelding the standard system plus also resulting sound as per post above

Mike

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Wow .. so $150 and $100 delivery .. I will try to be patient and wait for some to show up locally or turn up on planet parts.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Wow .. so $150 and $100 delivery .. I will try to be patient and wait for some to show up locally or turn up on planet parts.

I think I got the last two from planet parts.... There was a guy selling HSV mid sections in QLD on Facebook ads for $80 each

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Every modified factory exhaust mod I've heard (muffler deletes for example) sounds like ****. Don't bother.

I had marriage savers on my old VF with the rest of the exhaust left as stock, and it sounded pretty good.