Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Samual Anthony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY, ASV Ltd, V6 - N/A
Currently own a VY commodore.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts where on a Jap mod based modded VY Commodore??
Like,
1, Big exhaust, (cannon, straight through etc.) I've seen an adjustable exhaust system where you press a button and it opens up... bypasses the muffler or something (this idea is preferable as the noise from that kind of exhaust on the sized engines available is horrific, fuel cell versus vz fuel tank so I can go the twin exhaust (one on either side rather then the two on the passenger side)
2, After Market Wing,
3, Custom Body kit... cause putting a HSV body kit on it don't make it a HSV and I don't own a HSV,
4, Twin Turbo 3.8L buick, Not so much for the power, I mean some more kick would be a beautiful thing but I don't plan on trying to beat V8's down the quarter mile or anything so I may just go a single (position would be a bother though) or a 3.6?
5, Custom paint job (not really just a Jap mod cause all cars can get these, some cars need these and a lot of these look bad, so simple but nice),
6, After market head unit/sound system (a Bose sound system would be preferable, rip it out of other cars or might go alpine but experience says they are a lot of hype over nothing)
7, race seats (of course) 5 point harness for looks more then safety cause I wouldn't bother using them
8, Possibly VZ berlina dash (the VE looking dash)

Mostly looking for ideas or for examples.

I want the car to look like nothing you've ever seen, like see it and just not recognize it, look at it again and... commodore??

Based on the fact that people when modifying a commodore seem to think, just grab parts from a better model (clubby, SS, GTS etc.) and then... they just look like a bad version of a higher model. Nice clubsport... but it's a V6?? I don't want that (also i don't think the clubby kit is that great on the VY, just my opinion) also if I wanted a clubsport I'd rather save up and buy one then have a cheap knock off? but I don't want a clubsport

bretto86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Personally I wouldn't go trying to make it appear like a Japanese tuner car, because it's not, but at the end of the day it's your car & your choice.

I've come from Japs & Euros & some of my styling, etc is definitely influenced by that but only in subtle ways like wheel choice, etc...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
when you remove the seats remember they have an airbag.

um, have fun?

When people rice a commodore the results are usually like the below

79864d1268262365-ricer-day-bnhz-vg-2k-kgrhquokj8ets3li4mfbljy3g-5rg-_3.jpg

2798_3lo.jpg

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I don't think it'll be worth it , you could turbo it , but make it look like a stocker without the embellishments , those body kits don't do them any favours

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
pfft.. wouldn't call the top one Jappa.. just an undersized rear wing and over sized cannons..

this on the other hand.. looks a bit more JDM..

$(KGrHqYOKp0E-QIJpPgqBRclyZ79ig~~60_35.JPG

front cut on a R34 or GTFO!!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various

Just wondering what peoples thoughts where on a Jap mod based modded VY Commodore??

NO.......just no :banstick:

Sell your VY and buy a Civic if you want to rice out.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
Ok so here's my thoughts and opinions....
Poo, crap, faeces, no taste, try hard. I could keep going but I think you get it.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon

Like,
1, Big exhaust, (cannon, straight through etc.) I've seen an adjustable exhaust system where you press a button and it opens up... bypasses the muffler or something (this idea is preferable as the noise from that kind of exhaust on the sized engines available is horrific, fuel cell versus vz fuel tank so I can go the twin exhaust (one on either side rather then the two on the passenger side)
2, After Market Wing,
3, Custom Body kit... cause putting a HSV body kit on it don't make it a HSV and I don't own a HSV,
4, Twin Turbo 3.8L buick, Not so much for the power, I mean some more kick would be a beautiful thing but I don't plan on trying to beat V8's down the quarter mile or anything so I may just go a single (position would be a bother though) or a 3.6?
5, Custom paint job (not really just a Jap mod cause all cars can get these, some cars need these and a lot of these look bad, so simple but nice),
6, After market head unit/sound system (a Bose sound system would be preferable, rip it out of other cars or might go alpine but experience says they are a lot of hype over nothing)
7, race seats (of course) 5 point harness for looks more then safety cause I wouldn't bother using them
8, Possibly VZ berlina dash (the VE looking dash)

Mostly looking for ideas or for examples.

I want the car to look like nothing you've ever seen, like see it and just not recognize it, look at it again and... commodore??

Based on the fact that people when modifying a commodore seem to think, just grab parts from a better model (clubby, SS, GTS etc.) and then... they just look like a bad version of a higher model. Nice clubsport... but it's a V6?? I don't want that (also i don't think the clubby kit is that great on the VY, just my opinion) also if I wanted a clubsport I'd rather save up and buy one then have a cheap knock off? but I don't want a clubsport

1) Get a suitable sized high flowing exhaust to suit your application. Do NOT get a cannon.
2) No.
3) No.
4) Meh.
5) If by 'custom paint job' you mean a nice respray then yes, if you mean anything other than that, no.
6) I wouldn't bother ripping a bose system out of another car, alpine are good but they are overpriced. Have a search on this site and read some of the threads on audio setups, I've found JBL speakers to be quite good and reasonably priced same goes for JVC head units
7) Assuming you have an exec or some base model and want to convert to the climate control dash. This is a big job, the entire dash has to come out and the heater core has to be changed. Up to you if you think it's worth the effort.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Nope, no, never, ugly etc (but people have strange tastes). As said your better off selling the Commodore and buying a Jap import. Those mods will get you pulled over by the fuzz countless times, with no end of trouble...
Its your car dude just think long and hard about it....