Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modifying idle control when converting to manual

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't know if there is an enhanced file specifically for manual transmissions, so you would need to set or unset all the relevant flags and the change over the various alterations used in the manual tunes for driveability issues. You would need to compare auto and manual tune in Tunerpro and see what stuff was changed to suit.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I don't know if there is an enhanced file specifically for manual transmissions, so you would need to set or unset all the relevant flags and the change over the various alterations used in the manual tunes for driveability issues. You would need to compare auto and manual tune in Tunerpro and see what stuff was changed to suit.
There is another thread, where he talks about what you have mentioned here. I don't know where that thread is though?

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
Hi all, sorry I wasn't specific. The tune is L67 and all L67s were automatic from factory. The1, guru, starts with the factory tune before doing his enhancing magic so it's still at its core an auto tune and there is no readily available manual version. Some of you raised some good points like comparing the manual naturally aspirated tune to see how idle control differs from the auto and then adjust mine accordingly. Another possibility someone raised indirectly was putting a boosted manual tune in the NVRAM. Either way, it looks I've got some fun weekends ahead of me. Now that all the hard work is done (engine in, gearbox in, brakes and rear end upgraded), I can start to have fun tinkering.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Ask nicely on pcmhacking and someone will hook you up for a small fee.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
ecotec and L67 idle stuff is all the same so using comparing an ecotec getrag tune should reveal what you need. It's been years since I looked at one but there are some differences. Try using the difference tool function in Tunerpro.

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
Just a quick update. I collected some data this morning and confirmed that the IAC stepper motor is opening up when I blip the throttle. It idles at 34 steps and rises to 80 steps when I tap the accelerator causing the revs to go right up, even after the TPS has returned to zero. The IAC then starts to fall. I am not sure if the reduction in steps is a decay function or just how fast the IAC is able to move from one value to another.
I also noticed that the ECU thinks the car is in 1st gear. When I researched this, I found that removing the range selector wires from the loom is logically the same as having the range selector at 2 (all range selector switches open) - meaning the ECU behaves like the auto is in gear and increases the steps to compensate. My theory is, to take over idle control, I should trick the ECU into thinking the range selector is in neutral (switch B closed). I have attached a wire for the B switch (F10 pinout) and earthed it but haven't had a chance to test it.
Tomorrow I will see if the ECU now thinks the auto is in neutral. I'm hoping this bypasses all the weird automatic voodoo.
@Holden202T wrote "Basic Tuning of a Delco ECM With $12P" in which he says he likes his IAC motor at idle to be at 15 - 20 steps. I'll try and adjust mine down to this value as well.
The problem is not yet solved, but I may be making progress.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you sure you have unchecked all the auto flags? There is also a flag for manual trans and a separate flag for getrag manual trans.

Compare the IAC throttle follower table auto to manual as this is what it seems to be doing.