Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Modifying VE rims for VY (bob jane)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Bob Jane employees are useless at the best of times, but finding out if they are factory rims or not goes a little way to whether you stick it up them or not.

Oh and the "lets file it out" is a typical Bob Jane thing, which means they deserve a serve....
Oh yeah, not trying to defend bob jane by any means.

I've never had a pleasant experience with them, I once remember getting a wheel alignment from them that was 10x worse than before.

I've also had an 800km old bob jane all rounder completely delaminate and try to kill me.

Jim101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy berlina
It's common practice to machine out VE rims to fit earlier models.

How is the tyre place supposed to know they were VE rims without trying to fit them? They aren't expected to know what every single rim looks like thats ever hit the market and you aren't able to tell by eye that it's not going to fit, the PCD is the same it's just the hub centre thats a very small difference.

If you are supplying the rims you should know before hand whether they fit or not, thats not their responsibility.

Theres plenty of places around that will machine the wheels for pre-ve's just do a quick google.
Thanks for the reply
It's common practice to machine out VE rims to fit earlier models.

How is the tyre place supposed to know they were VE rims without trying to fit them? They aren't expected to know what every single rim looks like thats ever hit the market and you aren't able to tell by eye that it's not going to fit, the PCD is the same it's just the hub centre thats a very small difference.

If you are supplying the rims you should know before hand whether they fit or not, thats not their responsibility.

Theres plenty of places around that will machine the wheels for pre-ve's just do a quick google.
thanks for the reply I just honestly wasn’t sure about any of this myself as I am only just learning now and felt a little ‘cheated’ by the tire guys. Obviously I can see now that it’s not as easy to tell it’s a VE rim as I thought it may be. I appreciate that they just did the job they were asked to do.We did find someone to modify the rims locally so he is pretty happy with that. Thanks again

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Oh yeah, not trying to defend bob jane by any means.

I've never had a pleasant experience with them, I once remember getting a wheel alignment from them that was 10x worse than before.

I've also had an 800km old bob jane all rounder completely delaminate and try to kill me.

Cautious speaking about the Bob Jane out of rounders.....They have been manufacturered by both Dunlop and Bridgestone.....From memory, Bridgestone have been making them for the past 15 or so years...Will have to double check who is making them now :)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Cautious speaking about the Bob Jane out of rounders.....They have been manufacturered by both Dunlop and Bridgestone.....From memory, Bridgestone have been making them for the past 15 or so years...Will have to double check who is making them now :)
I have heard they are made by the bigger mobs.

I guess manufacturing quality might vary with the cheaper brands though regardless of who's making them. Bob Jane didn't want to know about it even though they did the wheel alignment, balance etc.

Consumer affairs stepped in and got the refund sorted.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have heard they are made by the bigger mobs.

I guess manufacturing quality might vary with the cheaper brands though regardless of who's making them. Bob Jane didn't want to know about it even though they did the wheel alignment, balance etc.

Consumer affairs stepped in and got the refund sorted.

Bob Jane has been on the steady downhill slope for years now....How they keep their doors open still astounds me....Everything from situations like you have described to Rodney Jane treating his store owners like shite....

Now this particular thread...The sooner he shuts the place down the better it'll be for us consumers

To the OP....Are you willing to give a hint which store you dealt with?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I had ve wheels on my vh, yes they have to be machined but it's not a big job. Use the wheel nuts off a Ford Focus. The taper is wider and suits the bigger stud hole. Mine were fine until I fitted coilovers on the front. That's why I have ANZ wheels now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Being in the industry, you tend to get to know what is a factory rim and what isn't.....Comes with doing it day in day out.

If it is loose factory rims, generally the ears prick up if they are VE onwards rims and they are wanting to fit to pre VE...That's where the "lets bolt it on" comes into play....Mainly because it is a common thing...
Even if they knew they were VE rims, which the tyre fitter may have known. It's up to the customer to supply rims that fit. Fall all the fitter knew he may have assumed they have already been bored out as is common practice. BJTM are unlikely to get our verniers and check prior to fitting. Plus it's not easy to measure the bore with verniers anyway as I found.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Even if they knew they were VE rims, which the tyre fitter may have known. It's up to the customer to supply rims that fit. Fall all the fitter knew he may have assumed they have already been bored out as is common practice. BJTM are unlikely to get our verniers and check prior to fitting. Plus it's not easy to measure the bore with verniers anyway as I found.

With VE/VF rims being a common fitament to pre VE commodores, a quick slide on the hub confirms or denys whether they've been bored out

The biggest mistake that can be made is assuming it's been done....This is the reason I asked if they were aftermarket or factory.... Factory wheels are easily identified , therefore a basic check could have been performed, so it puts the onus back on BJ....:)