Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mods on my vt s1 v6 6 speed auto exe. wagon

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
the electric water pump is meant to pump water round the block until the thermostat opens.

the way you have it won't do much as it's pumping water into the rad. Thermostat is still closed most of the time
Hi
See photo of direction of water flow.

Attachments

• Photo009.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 273

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
regardless it needs to pump around the block, it's trying to suck from the rad, through the small bypass hole next to the thermostat.

where the water pump is, it circulates thru the block. I'd hate to see anything happen to your engine.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
regardless it needs to pump around the block, it's trying to suck from the rad, through the small bypass hole next to the thermostat.

where the water pump is, it circulates thru the block. I'd hate to see anything happen to your engine.
Hi
Per instructions from manufacturer.

Attachments

• Photo010.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 258

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi
Just returned from about a 600 km trip.
No loss of coolant. No over heating.
Car just purred along.
Part of that trip was going through that car park called Melbourne.
Still NO over heating, & l was stuck in the car park for an 2 hours +

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi
The water pump bearing was starting to make a noise, so l took of the water pump pulley & put a shorter ve belt on (6pk 2555).
Remade the bracket that holds the pulley.
The shorter vt v6 belt with out a/c (pk 2225) is to short. (thats why the ve belt)
Original belt is pk 2830. So new belt is 275 mm shorter.
IMG_20140112_145726.jpg
IMG_20140112_150008.jpg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi
Happy Australia Day.
Have been loosing coolant, & didn't know where. So bit the bullet (fought of the anxiety attack) & had a go at finding the leak. So l took of the thermo fans of & there the leak was, on the metal fins, next to the plastic tank, under the filler cap about half way down.
I replaced the radiator ($220.00 from Natrad Geelong) on Monday. 5 years ago l had replaced the original radiator for a new one,$180.00. No idea where it came from as was fitted by the wreckers who supplied & fitted a motor for me at the same time. So l got 5 years out of that one.
I drove up to Wagga NSW for my Grand niece (my nieces' daughter) first birthday. Also the first time l have seen her.
Came back to Geelong on Thurs. Old girl never missed a beat. (she'll be 20 in August).
Air con was working well, outside temp was about 37 degrees. So the drive was comfortable.
No over heating or coolant loss.
I am pleased with the overall performance of the car.
Enjoy your day & thanks for looking.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Couple of weeks ago ordered online, new struts, strut tops & bearings + a strut tower brace. Also ordered a pair of spring compressors.
Everything arrived on the Monday. Tues. disassembled the old (everything was shagged) & installed the strut brace while the struts where out.
The link pins were stuffed too, so went to bursons & got another set. Put those in, but found l had lost one of the nuts. Got it all back together (except for the nut) went to wreckers next day & got one. Fairly easy job with the right tools. Thurs. got a front wheel alignment.
Drives heaps better. Thats my opinion + a friends who drove before & after.
$363.00 for all parts, tools & alignment.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi
Last year l got my key fob copied, $100.00 No driving here, there, & everywhere in between trying to get it cheaper.
Earlier in the year my fob stopped working. Great l have the other one. Which of course works.
Couple of weeks ago l realised no spare. My original was still about so l thought l'd get a new case (ebay $4.75) & battery (jaycar $2.45).
Battery l got last week, case came yesterday.
I split the case with a large screw driver, then a smaller one. Checked with a multimeter how flat my battery was. To my surprise it wasn't flat at all. Showed full charge.
Anyway re shelled the electronics with the original battery, just pushed the case together, no glue, sealer or anything else. Put the original key in & screwed in the screws. Took out to car & pressed unlock button, no work, which didn't surprise me. Opened with key, no problem but the alarm went of. Put key in ignition & started it. Alarm stopped its noise. While key was still in ignition l pushed the lock button (on the fob & it locked) then pushed the fob unlock button & it unlocked. I believe this is called re-syncing. Cool. That is probably all l needed to do to have the fob working, was to re-sync it.
Just got myself a spare key & a spare battery for $7.20. Still cheap, so l'm happy.
Hope this can help some one else.
Lex

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Opened with key, no problem but the alarm went of. Put key in ignition & started it. Alarm stopped its noise. While key was still in ignition l pushed the lock button (on the fob & it locked) then pushed the fob unlock button & it unlocked. I believe this is called re-syncing. Cool. That is probably all l needed to do

I had a key that behaved like that. I rebuilt it. It worked to start the car, but didn't unlock it remotely. So the new owner can try that.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi
I had a damaged left guard. So l got one from the wreckers for $50.00. I had been looking for a couple of years, but couldn't find a good one. I thought the one l bought was a good one, until l fitted it then washed it. After washing l discovered a tiny ding. Still its better than before & not as noticeable as the other guard.
Colour match wasn't to bad either. Needs cut & polish, which l've never done to any car l've owned before. First time for everything.
While l had the guard of, l changed the rope mast in the aerial. This was the third one. When l would have the car up on stands, l would have to turn ignition on for one reason or the other. The aerial would come up & hit the tilt door of the garage. Stopping the aerial going up, while the aerial motor would be still going & strip some of the teeth on the rope mast.
I have read how a few members have put a switch in, so if you don't want the aerial up (not using the radio) it wont come up.
Question where to put the switch? I have read how another member used the switch for the child lock for the rear power window switch (l don't have children). So thats what l did. Works ok & was easy to do.
The car hadn't been washed in a long time & was filthy, so it got a good wash.
Now for the next project?