Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[202] mods to a 202 blue motor

Discussion in 'Straight 6 Development And Modification' started by juzzyb, Feb 20, 2012.

1. juzzyb

juzzyb New Member

Members Ride:
    hq kingswood
    hi, im doing a 202 blue motor for a first car engine, so far i have a vk fuel injected head which will be ported, new cam and lifters, extractors going out into a 2 pipe system. what carby should i put on or should i run a vk injection set up? should i put thermos on?if carby, what manifold?
    cheers Justin

2. someguy360

someguy360 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    94' VR 304 - 05' Navara - 17' Focus - 12' Sorento
    I cant remember if Holley/Edelbrock still make carbs to suit a 202 but they have always been the best in my books.....never let me down

3. Darren_L

Darren_L Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VH SS
  4. drewVHSS

drewVHSS Donating Member

Members Ride:
    '83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
    beat me to it, I read that thread last year, alot of rewarding work that guy put into running an 808, a fair few mods to the manifold to change TB's etc... still it's something uncommon to do.

5. 78_torana

78_torana New Member

Members Ride:
    l67 torana
    You say it's for your first car, first up what do you want to acheive? power/economy/cruiser/all out performance? The weber is a great car for a nice cruiser. The Holden 6 is a great engine I learnt so much by starting out spinning spanners on these. My pick would be the vk inj setup

6. NFNSUS

NFNSUS Member

Members Ride:
    VH SL/x - VS BT1
    Because its only a rather small motor, stick with injection. You need all the power you can get.

Have you thought about a turbo? I've been seeing a lot more 202 turbos on YouTube lately, they seem to go pretty good too.

7. VK SL 3800

VK SL 3800 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL 5spd
    The Delco setup on a VK EFI is a good option, i have an uncle currently doing it on a VK EFI engine for an FE holden. Its a little involved but will be worth it.

8. LESK1946

LESK1946 New Member

Members Ride:
    vt clubbie
    any of you guys change a points dizzy to electronic on a red 202 ,was told to upgrade coil . what car can i rat it off please . thx to all

9. glennho

glennho Member

Members Ride:
    2006 VE SS
    i owned a vk a few years back and when the black motor died i got a stock blue motor bottom end from a mate cheap and had it balanced and bored 30 thou over(208 ci) and used flat top pistons and a stock cam shaft with an alloy timing gear.i put the 12 port black head on it shaved down and ported,had 308 valves put in and used stock lifters and rockers.i used a cain inlet manifold with a single 45 mm side draught weber carbie and pacemaker extractors and the stock electronic ignition system.also a lightend flywheel bolted up to a 5 speed gearbox.it went really well for what was done to it.i only used the standard cam,lifters,rockers due to lack of funds and also driveability as it was a daily drive and got reasonably good economy out of it aswell around 450-480 km to the tank.(leaded fuel back then)i thought about the black injection setup but money was tight and i already had the weber and manifold from a previous red motor i built years earlier.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  10. juzzyb

juzzyb New Member

Members Ride:
    hq kingswood
    I don't really mind much about economy. I just wanna get it going as hard as I can while still making it look legal for a p plater. I have all the parts to hook up a weber but I can't find an injection system to buy that suits my budget. I've also just bought 40thou oversized pistons but only dome tops. Cheers

11. Darren_L

Darren_L Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VH SS
    you'll need to grab the electronic distributor off a blue motor ie VC, VH or WB. Also the VK EFI engine used the same distributor.
    And yes, you'll need the higher voltage coil to suit.

When you wire it up, make sure you bypass the ballast resistor in your ignition circuit or it won't work