Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mods to Panelvans or Utes with Canopy

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
I would love to see what others have done to their Panelvan's and Utes with canopies

I am considering buying one or the other (well hopefully swap with my VE SS)
Main things I am interested in is how anyone has set up for dogs
I do a bit of travel and compete with my dogs, currently set up in a VZ Wagon

With respects to Utes with canopy, if I go down this track, what do I need to consider before removing the back window, any insulation to the canopy etc
Cage designs of interest also for both options

Any ute have an advantage over another? the VE with sealed over roof canopy looks great

P.s. I would be doing any modifications etc myself

Older Panelvans would be a dream come true ... but also with a heavy price tag!

Would love to see pictures!

Tro

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
AFAIK if installing a canopy in a modern ute they leave the back window in.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Any ute have an advantage over another? the VE with sealed over roof canopy looks great

It appears to be sealed, but it is just a well fitted canopy with the ute back window still there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Be easy enough to remove the window but it won't be like a true panel van. To do that would require extensive work and structural modifications and having it all engineered.

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
Be easy enough to remove the window but it won't be like a true panel van. To do that would require extensive work and structural modifications and having it all engineered.
Yep, I wouldn't go that far

Simply looking to set up well for my dogs and an emergency bed (could be on the roof racks) etc
I do need to carry some equipment as well
Main reason for removing the back window would be to provide cool air and so my dogs can hear me etc

I am also looking for something to play with (if i get a Panelvan or older ute) so I don't mind the odd challenge

Tro

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yep, I wouldn't go that far

Simply looking to set up well for my dogs and an emergency bed (could be on the roof racks) etc
I do need to carry some equipment as well
Main reason for removing the back window would be to provide cool air and so my dogs can hear me etc

I am also looking for something to play with (if i get a Panelvan or older ute) so I don't mind the odd challenge

Tro
I find station wagons very versatile. Drop the back seat, & toss a blow up mattress in, theres the bed for the night.
Put the seats up, room for the family & the dog in the back section.

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
I find station wagons very versatile. Drop the back seat, & toss a blow up mattress in, theres the bed for the night.
Put the seats up, room for the family & the dog in the back section.
Thats what I currently have (VZ) and I also have a VF as the family wagon

The VZ has had its seats down for about 3 years, set up for the dogs etc
I am wanting a change (hopefully a Panelvan)
Something I can play with and set up more permanent and dedicated for what I need to carry (with a little more room than I currently have)
I don't want a 4X4, prefer another V8 or older car - I also have height restriction (1820)

So I would really love to see some custom builds of Panelvans or Utes with Canopy's

Tro

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

I wonder if that would pass a roadworthy inspection in NSW. I realise you are Qld, which doesn't do yearly checks.
Put a roof mounted air con in the back.

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
I wonder if that would pass a roadworthy inspection in NSW. I realise you are Qld, which doesn't do yearly checks.
Put a roof mounted air con in the back.
Wouldn't want to do that, I would simply remove the back window (or put a split window in) - maybe line the roof with insulation

Tro