Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Monaro CV8z - To Be or Not To Be?

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
I am deciding whether to purchase a VE SSV or CV8z Monaro.

The largest question on my mind is the depreciation/appreciation of the Monaro, is it just a fool’s dream or will it actually appreciate? The Monaro 2005 CV8z’s came out at RRP $60,490. Now 6 years on and the majority are around the $30,000 to $40,000 price range for a mid range odo reading (50k-80k) or $50,000 to $90,000 for untouched/hardly driven (1km-5000km). I won't even consider any Monaros with odo's above 100k or a modded history.

My objective will be to use the purchased car as a hardly daily drive, however if the Monaro appreciates then that would be the easy decider. Does anyone have an opinion into whether they will appreciate, or has anyone monitored the prices increases/decreases for the past 5 years?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
It will probably continue to decrease for another 5-10yrs.
Its almost a guarantee that it will appreciate at some point thought. The SSV won't.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
how did you go with this mate?

i had 2 VE's prior and i just bought myself a CV8z. the Monaro is AMAZING! i love it. even though it is 7yrs old (which is what i was worried about)

the interior is amazing compared to the VE's and it drives so much better

Charles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Every man and their dog has an SS....Go the Monaro...Im looking at getting rid of my Clubby for one...

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Monaro's are a very nice car but they are a bit common on the roads these days.

In the course of the day I see 2-3 on average around the city and near my house. In the course of the same day I see about 1 VZ clubsport for example.

This I suppose is a good thing in the long term since its safe to assume a pecentage of those will be written off every year since they are on the roads all the time and thus make your's rarer.

My suggestion, if you want something to buy that is truely unique, GTO or Coupe4 is the way forward.

In terms of prices, they are still dropping like a stone. 2 years ago VZ monaro's where outside of my car budget but today I can easily pick one up for well under 30K. So they haven't bottomed out yet.

Also, no point buying a with the hope that in the distant future it will apprecaite. Think of it this way, say in 25 years you can resell a clean VZ monaro for 75 K. Over that period of time you will have forked out about 45K on insurance and rego. Add the costs of regular servicing to ensure the thing is still going in 25 years and you're not making any profit.

Only way to make a profit is to get one, put it in a bubble for 25s years, take it out, take it to a mechanic for a MASSIVE service to get it running and then you'll make a few grand.

A car is a car. Buy it because you'll enjoy it and not as a financial decision.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
A car is a car. Buy it because you'll enjoy it and not as a financial decision.

I met a bloke 2 years ago with a Brocky VK (have the photos somewhere). It had done 200 000 + and looked in the condition you'd expect a daily driven VK to be in.

He said to me "Brocky built these cars to be driven and enjoyed, its even on a sticker. Someone said to me "I bet you'll stop driving it now Brocks gone so the value goes up" and I said no - Ive had it as a daily driver since 1992 and until the day it dies it will remain as one. I love driving it, thats why I bought it - to drive, not to sit in a shed under covers waiting for its value to increase"

I stood back and took on a different understanding - yep, its still valuable as its a genuine HDT Brock, but its also been enjoyed for those 200 000 kays, and will continue to be enjoyed for years to come - the reason the cars built, to be driven!

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
+1 for the coupe 4, the bodykits on them make the monaro look tougher/more complete...+ rare as anything. I"ve seen 1...and it was awesome lol.